General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burger King & Harley kicked out of Afghanistan

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:19 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

lol iam sure it will but your right, we try to teach the kids and show them how expensive things are and how the bills get paid and how many bills there are and how to save some for a rainy day etc.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:26 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by El Rey
It's not the service's job to teach about money though. I often thought of that as a Marine NCO back in the day.

Whether you're in the service or in college, money managing is your own job.

And I know this will open up another can of worms.
I agree BUT as of around 1990, financial management has been taught and retaught in the AF. Can't speak for the other branches. In fact, financial irresponsibility can get you in to a tub of really hot water. Repeated acts and it's "Sayonara."

Old 03-30-2010, 02:15 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by clicker01
I agree BUT as of around 1990, financial management has been taught and retaught in the AF. Can't speak for the other branches. In fact, financial irresponsibility can get you in to a tub of really hot water. Repeated acts and it's "Sayonara."
That's the Air Force though. The Air Force is run like a corporation, the Navy is too, the Army is run like a military and the Marine Corps like a strict religion. LOL

Old 03-30-2010, 02:51 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

So will This help to avoid incidences of soliders being killed by "friendly fries"

Old 03-30-2010, 02:53 AM
jcr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being X military and doing two tours way back when I think this is a load.
I cannot help but think the big boys some how think or are looking for a way to get more money into the hands of rear upper brass. Not the kids on the line.
I know we use to talk about what we would buy, get when we got back to the "world". After serviing several tours on the line I am sure these guys are no different. who does it hurt for them to finally make it to the rear with the remfs are and get the Harley that they have dreamed about everyday while doing their duty!
Seems like Mr. I am only thinking about the boys wants more cash for himself. These guys at the top are no diffent than many politicians. they are the do I as say brand of person not do as I do.!!! I know that the guys at the top have thier ticket punched not only while in the service but are looking for connections with contractors and the politicains when they retire--double dipping at its worst!

Old 03-30-2010, 04:02 AM
CroK
Banned

Yeh, I tend to wonder about the ulterior motives myself...

Do ya think there might be a new establishment in the making? McChrystal Burgers anyone?

Old 03-30-2010, 05:04 AM
speedkills
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can sort of understand the burger king and other fast food things... you have to actually ship in food, buns, condiments, whatever else they serve... but a guy selling harleys at a little round table by the door of the PX? (that's where he was about a year and a half ago at kandahar) can't possibly see how that affects the guys out at the smaller fobs.

i was on kdar the whole time, but i know that the folks that were out in the front definitely enjoyed coming back to the bigger base for shopping and some fast food. seems its all about cutting costs since our economy is suffering everywhere.

things just seem to be getting stricter day by day over there... when i was there we had unfiltered internet access in our rooms (had to pay for it and was slow as hell), but now they have blocked **** sites! what's a boy to do?!

just hoping this **** ends in my lifetime and everyone comes home!!

brian

Old 03-30-2010, 05:32 AM
Kilo6
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Unlike Iraq, Afghanistan is land locked country and surface and air movement is limited due to over flight rights. Supplying some of the large FOBs with nonessentials competes with essential items so I guess the General prioritized. On another note, there are those who go to Afghanistan and contribute very little and live like hogs on the big FOBs; i.e eat at BK, DQ, Starbucks, and gain weight, etc. And then there are those who go to Afghanistan and go outside the wire to fight the enemy and put everything on line; fear, heat, dehydration, hunger, cold, wet, etc. The latter is the one who doesn't get BK, DQ, HD, etc. He's the one who needs the water, chow, ammo, life support and not the fat kid sitting in the FOB playing X Box eating Cheetos.
I have come back to the FOB with my vehicle shot up and missing a couple guys due to KIA or WIA. You kind of pull in and see the FOB dwellers getting fat, enjoying life, collecting the same pay and you realize there is a disparity. I know it's not their fault but it just seems unfair. You just sit there and say to yourself, how can they live like this when there are men fighting and dying outside. I commend the General for cutting back the luxuries.
SF. K6

Old 03-30-2010, 06:02 AM
DMJFatboy
Tourer

complete BS. I have been down range several times and the only thing this decision does is kill already shitty morale. What a DB.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:37 AM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can see both sides. I remember rolling into Victory in Baghdad at the end of 2003 to get supplies and seeing the burger king and the 300 people in line waiting for it. I became 301. It sure felt good after a year of MRE and TRATS. But, what one member here said about the FOBBITS, those guys live day in and day out with that stuff. It puts them almost in a Garrison like state, which in my opinion is a big reason things have gone to **** over there! I did 3 1 year tours in that sandbox from 03-07, and each time i went it was worse and worse.