General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost went down today. Scared the Beejesus out of me!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:15 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you are okay. The advice to take an Experienced Riders Course is spot on - took one after 28 years of riding and learned a lot.

Now go to an empty parking lot and practice hard stops, leaning for all you're worth on the front brake. You will find out how fast you can bring that bike to a halt without locking up anything. Start at 15 mph and work up to 35 or so.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:54 AM
stevieg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's times like these that I really appreciate you guys on this forum. I don't want to talk to my wife about it 'cause she's not all that happy I ride. I'm uncomfortable telling anyone else I know that doesn't ride. But you guys, you've been through or come close to going through what happened to me. Man, that feeling you have when you're sliding and trying to keep the bike up and avoid the car and not go into the other lane. It lasted 4 or 5 seconds but it was truly frightening and I'll never forget it. I'm so glad to get another chance to get it right and everyone's advice is truly appreciated. Thanks for chiming in.

It just occurred to me: I got the bike used and I noticed one of those angel bells (don't know exactly what they're called) in one of the saddlebags. It was all bent up and don't know the story behind it. Don't know if I want to know. I wondered if it was bad luck to have a bent up bell with me but it was in there when it happened. Makes you wonder.....

Old 03-29-2010, 12:11 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Anytime yan can learn from a mistake, it's a good thing. Don't give up now, it's WAY too soon to do that!

Old 03-29-2010, 12:18 PM
DarkS1de
Novice

glad no one was hurt, keep it rubber side down

Old 03-29-2010, 12:29 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey Bravo...talking about rear ending someone and seeing your sig pic gives new meaning to this thread.......

Oh yeah, to the OP....don't follow cars through caution lights. I hit a guy doing than once in my Suburban.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:31 PM
jskibs
Advanced

I did almost the same thing about 10 yrs ago on my Suzuki 1100G; in March and rusty from the winter. Lady decided to stop at a yellow. Difference was that I was stupidly riding in the middle of the lane and grabbed a handful of front brake. It was like somebody ripped a carpet right out from under me. Lady of course didn't so much as look in the rear view mirror before taking off at the green.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:50 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I've learned that following close is not good,, done almost the same 40yrs ago on the bike, slid off the road to miss a car and kissed a Telephone pole... Darn,, those things are hard......

Old 03-29-2010, 12:55 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Yup, to close will get ya and +1 on the MSF course it will make a better driver and rider out of you

Old 03-29-2010, 06:57 PM
justanotherjim
Road Master

Location: kingman AZ. We aren't in hell, but you can see it from here!!!
Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

Almost the samething happened to me this last Saturday, cruisin' down the hiway nobody infront of me but a truck on my right and another one coming up behind me. Couldn't move over to let the guy pass me and the other truck was'nt speeding up.
The truck to the side of me speed up to pass a car, moved infront of me and the truck behind me got in the rightlane after we all passed the Prius.
The light turns yellow and the guy stops.
I grabbed my hand brake and foot brake and I started to skid. I felt myself going one way I released the footbrke, then started to skid the other way. did that for 2-3times. Thankfully the guy in the truck in front of me pulled up. Otherwise I might have needed a new front fender.....
The pisser is, the guy that was to my right pulled up to me and rolled his window down and gave me a smile and a thumbs up!

Old 03-29-2010, 07:04 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

You learned, cost ya a few bucks but no skin to heal or a hole to dig. Sure this will make ya a better rider. We all need lessons

Quick Reply: Almost went down today. Scared the Beejesus out of me!