General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Armed

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 10:00 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanders
Well, WHAT you are carrying will be a big factor in how you carry it. Little pistols like the Seecamps, Keltecs, Ruger LCP's, Snub-nose revolvers, etc can be carried in ways you can't carry a full sized 1911, Glock, Beretta, etc...
I'm still trying to find a comfortable holster to use with my Yugo, but I haven't had any luck so far.

I think the inside the waistband type I normally use would be out of the question as it probably wouldn't be that comfortable on long trips, even with the stock folded.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Mr Wasabi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another carry method to consider is one of the 5.11 holster shirts. I use one every once in a while when I need deep concealment and other methods won't work. They can get a little warm and constrictive though. Not the best for a quick easy draw either. YMMV.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:14 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Wasabi
Another carry method to consider is one of the 5.11 holster shirts. I use one every once in a while when I need deep concealment and other methods won't work. They can get a little warm and constrictive though. Not the best for a quick easy draw either. YMMV.
I have one too. I've used it a couple of times when it was the only practical option but I much prefer a holster.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:14 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
The sad thing is all law abiding citizens should have the right to carry...The second amendment gave us that right...Wake up America those rights are disappearing fast.

+1 I still don't get the "carry permit" thing...WTF? What is the second amendment for? No mention of a background check or permit...all of that is unconstitutional IMO.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:36 AM
cdale976
Road Master

small piece ankle strap

Old 03-28-2010, 11:19 AM
mikeault
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a small pocket just inside my jecket. Easy to access and you don't have it hanging on your hip.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:50 PM
dleiwig
2nd Gear

Wow...a lot of good advise. I just joined this forum, and am glad I did. Not just for this question, obviously...but it's way cool to get so many perspectives on whatever topic. I guess it would have helped if I would have mentioned what I was planning on carrying! :-) I usually carry a Glock 27 in a Bianchi IWB holster at 6 o'clock. Based on all the replies, I'll probably go with the vest. It sounds like the most secure/comfortable way to do long distance. I DO plan on carrying (once I verify the other states' rules). Carrying when only carrying "large quantities of money", or only when anticipating an issue is totally unrealistic. No one ever wakes up and says "I think I'll get in a bad spot today". You never know. There's something about being on a ride (or drive, for that matter) that long, in unfamiliar areas, that makes me feel a little vulnerable. Thanks again for all the input!

Old 03-28-2010, 05:01 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
+1 I still don't get the "carry permit" thing...WTF? What is the second amendment for? No mention of a background check or permit...all of that is unconstitutional IMO.
Any law that restricts gun use is unconstitutional in my opinion. That said, many states, Missouri included, have no problem with open carry. When you conceal it, you need a permit. But, I can walk downtown with a shotgun strapped over my shoulder and be perfectly legal.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Gigantor
Advanced

for carrying while on a motorcycle i usually go with a galco shoulder holster when i can wear an outer garment to conceal it(vest, sweatshirt,jacket). if its hot weather i go with a iwb pancake style holster worn at about 4 oclock on my waist. there are many ways to safely carry but consider how fast of access you want to your firearm if shtf. deep concealment is fine, but could be disasterous if, your main hand is occupied or injured. whatever you choose i would reccomend practicing drawing with your off hand.

personally i carry only metal framed handguns chambered for 45 acp. i like the extra weight of the gun to reassure me its still there and didnt fall out of the holster. also if i so choose i have a less than lethal option of pistol whipping someone if it comes to that. im not going to even touch which caliber is better because we all know where that leads. ill just say this, im most comfortable with 45's at least until i can find a comfortable carry holster for my S&W 500.

to the people who say" leave it at home"; i respect your opinion insofar as you have a right to one, but it is flawed. show me some factual statistics or info that shows persons that LEGALLY carry cause or contribute to either crime or deaths other than suicides or personal injury(which are so miniscule i doubt there is a statistic) and i will gladly state my ignorance.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Pirate Boy
Tourer

heres what i use I carry a full size 1911 :-) . Its a IWB that you can tuck in your shirt if you want to, it very comfortable. Ive done 500ish mile days wearing it with no problems at all .I wore it with a t-shirt tucked in at a air show with TONS of police and security and no one even looked twice, I would highly recommend it
http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/prod...products_id=95

Attached Thumbnails Riding Armed-mtac.jpg  

Quick Reply: Riding Armed