General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Armed

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:22 PM
stevent
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally carry all the time, it's my fervent hope that I never have to use my pistol to defend myself. However I'm also aware that there are a lot of people who are vicious, loaded with hatred or addled by drugs that really don't give a f*ck who they hurt to get what they want. If it's ever my misfortune to be threatened by one of them then yes, I will be quite happy to defend myself by whatever means necessary including planting a few .38+P hollow nose in their guts.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:36 PM
hdstreetglide08
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ankle holster. Once you get used to it you'll never know it's there. Just make sure you jeans cover it with the wind flapping them around.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:45 PM
47Harley
Advanced

Originally Posted by dleiwig
Hey Everyone,
Need some advise. I am deployed, but am planning a run to Sturgis when I get home. I have a CHL license, and need some advise on a good way to carry concealed while I ride. The states I'll be rolling through honor my Texas CHL license, so I'm legal and all...just need a safe, comfortable way to carry on the scooter. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave
You may be able to find a good shoulder holster for less $$$ than a concealment vest and wear it with the vest or jacket you already have. I just buy one size larger shirts and keep my .45 in an IWB from crossbreed holsters.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:38 PM
ghenstorf
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting to see how long this goes on. My HD jacket has a great breast pocket that holds a LCR or LCP quite nicely. A Don Hume JIT slide holster will work for hip access and get the opposite side draw JIT and wear in small of back if that suites your style. None of these interfere with riding and all can be accessed while sitting. I have lockable bags to stow weapons in when I enter banks or hospitals that prohibit carry. It should go without saying but never let alcohol cross your lips with a weapon on your person!

Old 04-03-2010, 05:21 AM
dleiwig
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Burndog
Question: is it a "bike" thing or do the same people noting that they carry, carry just the same when they drive their cars?

And how much fear is in involved in the choice to carry? For instance, the only gun I have not in my safe, is in the bedroom in case (fear) of a home invasion.

We can't legally conceal a gun in California so I expect most people here are without a concealed weapon most of the time. If I knew a bar was filled with half drunks, most of which had guns tucked away, I think I would pass on the experience. Not too relaxing having to think at any moment you might need defend yourself from some gun wielding whacknut.

Sorry to head off topic just curious how much of this carrying of guns is 'cause your riding a bike...

Burndog,
There are very strict guidelines you must adhere to when carrying legally (CHL). You cannot carry in an establishment which recieves 51% of their revenue in alcohol sales. This means that if you walk into a bar with a bunch of armed "whacknuts", they are not carrying legally. As far as CHL being a "bike" thing, for me, it's not. I carry anytime I'm out in public, unless I plan on drinking. This is magnified any time I'm on a road trip of any distance because, honestly, you never know. That is why I posted this question. I'm planning a ride of almost 3,000 miles, and the idea of being vulnerable, carrying a bit of cash, doesn't sit well with me. I don't carry to be a crazy, gun-toting, trigger-happy arrogant fool looking for any chance to pull my weapon. Anyone with any CHL or military experience NEVER wants to have to use their weapon. Unfortunately, the reality of the matter is that crime is uncontrollably high, and you never know what situation you may find yourself in. I certainly don't go looking for trouble (quite the opposite), but I'd rather carry and not need it, than find myself in a bad spot wishing I had the pistol that's locked up in my safe a couple of thousand miles away. Granted, I've thankfully never been in a bad situation (knock on wood), but I don't think I'd hesitate, even when looking someone in the eye, in using deadly force if the alternative prevented me from making it home to my family...or worse yet, if the alternative prevented MY FAMILY from making it home. Just my stance on the whole thing. Someone replied to this post and said better be judged by 12 than carried by 6...that's a pretty awesome way to sum it up. To each their own, ya know?

Old 04-03-2010, 06:37 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Burndog,
There are very strict guidelines you must adhere to when carrying legally (CHL). You cannot carry in an establishment which recieves 51% of their revenue in alcohol sales. This means that if you walk into a bar with a bunch of armed "whacknuts", they are not carrying legally.
That would be true here in KY, but in some states you can carry anywhere and in others, like TN, you can't even carry in a restaurant that sells alcohol. Depends on your state law.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:47 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,432 Likes on 5,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Jambon1
Here we go again......

OP asks.....

He is NOT asking for anyones advice on IF he should carry. He is telling you that he is going to carry and would like some friendly advice on which type of holster, vest or whatever is the most comfortable while riding. I have a IWB that I use most of the time but it is not that comfortable while riding. I think a concealment vest would be a good choice.
No surprises with the answers here, after all, this is the general forum, not the gun enthusiast forum, where the question might have been asked...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 04-03-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by hdstreetglide08
Ankle holster. Once you get used to it you'll never know it's there. Just make sure you jeans cover it with the wind flapping them around.
Interesting.

Legs bent, pants hiked up, boots on, pants leg blowing... How exactly do you do that?

Old 04-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Jambon1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gypsylady
Every time I see this thread title I think of my fake arm! /hijack

A fake arm would probably be a good place to conceal a weapon. Good answer.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Burndog
Cruiser

Burndog,
There are very strict guidelines you must adhere to when carrying legally (CHL). You cannot carry in an establishment which recieves 51% of their revenue in alcohol sales. This means that if you walk into a bar with a bunch of armed "whacknuts", they are not carrying legally. As far as CHL being a "bike" thing, for me, it's not. I carry anytime I'm out in public, unless I plan on drinking. This is magnified any time I'm on a road trip of any distance because, honestly, you never know. That is why I posted this question. I'm planning a ride of almost 3,000 miles, and the idea of being vulnerable, carrying a bit of cash, doesn't sit well with me. I don't carry to be a crazy, gun-toting, trigger-happy arrogant fool looking for any chance to pull my weapon. Anyone with any CHL or military experience NEVER wants to have to use their weapon. Unfortunately, the reality of the matter is that crime is uncontrollably high, and you never know what situation you may find yourself in. I certainly don't go looking for trouble (quite the opposite), but I'd rather carry and not need it, than find myself in a bad spot wishing I had the pistol that's locked up in my safe a couple of thousand miles away. Granted, I've thankfully never been in a bad situation (knock on wood), but I don't think I'd hesitate, even when looking someone in the eye, in using deadly force if the alternative prevented me from making it home to my family...or worse yet, if the alternative prevented MY FAMILY from making it home. Just my stance on the whole thing. Someone replied to this post and said better be judged by 12 than carried by 6...that's a pretty awesome way to sum it up. To each their own, ya know?
Thanks for the reply and service to our country.

This threads got me thinking if I should have one of my guns tucked under the seat in the truck (family protection). But just as riding is taking chances, personally, I'll leave the guns at home and enjoy the ride. Don't want to also be thinking about a gun when I've got enough to worry about with all the bad drivers out there.

Quick Reply: Riding Armed