General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis virgins

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:41 PM
rockymtnhigh
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sturgis virgins

So I am looking for some advice from experienced Sturgis veterans. My buddy and I live in Denver. We've never been to a rally before so we're thinking about going this summer. Any advice on what to see and what to avoid. We're more of the "wild hogs" style guys. I ride a Fat Bob, he's got a Fat Boy. Neither of us have any touring equipment on the bikes to carry luggage etc so what have you guys done with your stuff? Ship to the hotel perhaps?

Thanks in advance..

Old 03-27-2010, 09:54 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

www.sturgis.com has lots of info.

Yes, you can UPS your gear to any number of motels, campgrounds, etc.

Bring money.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:00 PM
oddtodd
Intermediate

Only been once so far, we went to Jewel Caves, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Deadwood, rode Needles Hwy, Custer State Park, lots to do. For housing look on VRBO we got some good deals over the years by renting houses.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:06 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get some detachable bags. Saddlebags, sissy bar bags. A great way to travel is to wear your older undergarments and throw them away as you change them. That way the amount of stuff you carry gets alittle less each day. Talcum powder, Tylenol and/or other pain meds. Heat packs if it's gonna get chilly. Do a search to see what sights are on the way to break up the trip. Don't forget to bring money and don't store it all in one place.

Go over your bike thoroughly or have the dealer check it out. Tell them that your planning a long trip. That will help with the tech's checkover of your bike.
Look at your tires. Constant traveling can eat up a tire. A tire that's alittle worn that might last around town will probably not last on the open road. Plan now so if you have to get tires or other parts that it's not soo much of a hit at the last minute. I'm sure there's more I've forgot to mention. I'll keep adding info as I remember.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:08 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

Was actually planning on making the trip next year granted I'm back from my middle east tour if I do end up going between now and then!

Old 03-27-2010, 11:53 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG, I thought the poster was suggesting Virgins might be found in Sturgis

Old 03-28-2010, 12:22 AM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by oddtodd
Only been once so far, we went to Jewel Caves, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Deadwood, rode Needles Hwy, Custer State Park, lots to do. For housing look on VRBO we got some good deals over the years by renting houses.
+1......these are all good places to ride while in the Sturgis area. Also, since you only have a 400 mile ride, you can do it in a day. If staying in a motel, you can ship your clothes up there, or get a sissy bar and strap a duffel bag to it. Don't know how long you are staying, but when I ride out from California, I usually allow 4 days to get there, 4 days there, and 4 days to get , as I enjoy taking different routes and seeing country I haven't visited. In 2003 while making the trip solo, I actually made it home in a day and a half, but that was just hauling it without lengthy stops.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:49 AM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't made any reservations as of yet plan on camping somewhere. Hotel are full by this time. You might find something in Spearfish or Deadwood IF YOUR LUCKY. If you have a sissy bar just bungee everything to it. Put your tent on your front forks. You'll love it nothing to worry about bikes everywhere. Take 85 through Lusk and New Castle it's a boring ride in some areas like Lusk and Mule Creek Junction. If it still the same there was always construction somewhere on the way up. 432 miles from Denver.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,268 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Carry as little as possible. But carry rain gear.

Buy T-shirts on the road and while your there. Wear your jeans for several days.

Hit a Laundromat mid trip and wash everything while you are having lunch. Bonus points if the place has "by the pound" wash-dry-fold service. An hour and your back to clean clothes.

Hit a pack and ship the day before you leave and send it all home in a box.

I stayed in Rapid City last year. Made the reservations 3 weeks before the rally without any issue. Rapid City is good coming from the East. Close enough to everything without dealing with the choking traffic in some areas. Last day, pull out of the hotel, turn right, and run it up to 85 mph.

Plan on a ton of riding once you get there. There are so many rides in every direction it is hard to hit all of them in one week. Last year I rode 2000 out from North Carolina, 1800 during the week, and 2000 back.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

I made the ride several years on a '89 Softail. I'd strap my duffle bag accross the seat behind me to make a nice back rest.

Quick Reply: Sturgis virgins