General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got an infraction today. What does it mean?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 07:58 PM
SBJJC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got an infraction today. What does it mean?

Well I got an infraction today and I asked for an appeal. I haven't heard anything from the administrator on my appeal. What does an infraction mean? It was a 30 pointer… I cannot find anything in the search about infractions.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:05 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It says you got an infraction for selling copyrighted material. Usually that's trying to pass .pdf copies of the service manuals which is verbotten here as HD representatives do monitor this sight and we do not want to appear to condone the trade of pirated copyrighted material.

Infractions serve a couple of different purposes. They get your attention on matters the forum is serious about, like the rules. They are also a way for the moderators and administrators to keep up with trouble makers. Acquire too many and you might get a 30 day vacation.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:14 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl
It says you got an infraction for selling copyrighted material. Usually that's trying to pass .pdf copies of the service manuals
OK I gotta ask........."selling"? How does one sell a .pdf file on HDF?

I have scanned a page or two from my service manual, then posted here to help someone out. Is that an infraction?

Some clarification would be helpful.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:19 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

The infraction says selling but I didn't give it and don't know the circumstances behind the issue other than what I said. Selling/giving/trading .pdf copies of the service manuals via the open forum is discouraged since HD does not sell the manuals in pdf form so all are pirated. As to your last question, helping someone out with a few pages here and there is not a problem, but please do it in a PM and don't post pages from the manuals on the open forum as that too could be viewed as copyright infringement.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:25 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Alrighty then......thank you for the clarification...I had no idea this would be an issue.

Thank you.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:27 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

You're welcome. It's an issue because of the copyright infringement.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:35 PM
SBJJC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for answering my question. Here is what happened:

I posted a thread asking anyone who would be interested in a copy of my 08 manual, which I bought and have a pay pal receipt for off ebay. I posted I would have to put a copy of the manual on MY website not the forum, because the file was too large to email. I posted it was free. I was not charging, nor did I ask for any monies for the file.

This was the reason why. There had been several guys on the forum, when I asked a question about a few parts, they emailed me and said they had a few extras and all I had to do was pay for shipping and they sent me the parts for free.

I then had someone answer my post and told me an administrator would not like the post and I should take it down. I searched for a way to take the post down and I could not. I posted a reply informing members who were interested I could not send it to them and I asked for an administrator to take the post down because I could not figure out how to.

Next thing I know, I'm getting PM and being told I had a 30 point infraction and a copy of the rule, I had be accused of violating.

The rule sent to me stated:

“Copyrighted material can not be posted on HDForums. Do not post pictures that have a copyright stamp on them or bootlegged material, such as Harley Manuals, which have been illegally downloaded on CD's. Any violation of this rule will cause the post/thread to be removed and the offending member to be warned or banned (depending on the severity of the violation).”

I answered with a request for an appeal of the infraction stating: “I was not selling anything to violate copy rights. I was merely offering anyone who wanted a PDF touring service manual, which I bought and paid for and it was free. In order to be a copyrights violation, I would need to ask and receive funds for copyright protected literature.

My original post stated, if anyone wanted a FREE copy, to email me. There was nothing anywhere which stated for a fee. I have been given parts for my Harley, a license plate holder and a turn signal run/turn/stop unit. These too were Harley products and they were given to me. I was only attempting, in good faith, return the favor.

The only reason I offered the PDF through email was because the file was too large to email. I was going to put it on my website as a link.

Once someone addressed that issue of giving away was not allowed, I addressed that in a follow up post and informed the members I would not be allowed. I then asked for an administrator to remove the post. Now Im receiving an infraction. Respectfully, I don't think it is far, or warranted.

Therefore, I respectfully feel I did not violate the rules, because the item was not for sale.”

I also felt the rule did not articulate what I did because, “Copyrighted material cannot be posted on HDForums.: I did not post any material on the forum. I was going to post my copy I own on my website, which I own.

Do not post bootlegged material, such as Harley Manuals, which have been illegally downloaded on CD's: again, I have the pay pal receipt I can show you that I bought this manual off eBay and I own it.

I still don't think I was out of line, but I have not heard back from the administrator. I'm not trying to take this to a public forum, I just wanted to know what the infractions were about and the what the appeals process was.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:38 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Good thread, learned something new and useful today, thanks.
P.S., they own the site, they make the rules!

Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 03-27-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:43 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

As I explained in my post above, any pdf copy of an HD manual is pirated. Doesn't matter if you bought it off of ebay, you bought a pirated copy since HD does not offer the manuals in pdf format. Therefore, even if offering a copy of it for free, you are propagating pirated copyrighted material and that is forbidden here because as stated, the forum does not want to give the appearance of facilitating the exchange of pirated, copyrighted material.

Even though members cannot delete posts here, you can "edit" any post you make and you could have edited the post to say something to the effect of: ...... or <snip>, etc.

I wouldn't worry about the infraction too much. No one but the moderators/admins can see them. It will expire so unless you rack up some more and become a problem child, it won't affect you much.

Last edited by GeorgiaGirl; 03-27-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:44 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Geez, and here I thought it was like an infection, only worse.

Quick Reply: Got an infraction today. What does it mean?