General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got an infraction today. What does it mean?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:46 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

And I thought he broke something.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:48 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmmm....

Old 03-27-2010, 08:50 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Copyright laws vary by country by as a general rule if you legally purchased a copyrighted item there is allowances for YOU to make copys of it for YOUR own Personal use, IE: your working on your biek and you make a copy of the page with al lthe torque specs to keep tacked on your shop wall so you dotn have to always be digging out the FSM and gettign your greasy grubby fingerprints all over it every 15 minutes durign a re-build.
but the distribution not-for-profit and for profit of copy righted material is still technically Illegal in the U.S. and i belive that since this site is based out of the US it mus tadhere to US Copyright laws and therefore postign links even though free to copyrighted HD FSM's is still illegal so HDF cant allow it here as it would be very bad JUJU for the site and could cause soem legal issues for admins/owners.

so in a nutshell your got yer weewee slapped for somethign that even though was well intentioned was against corporate/copyright laws in the US and HDF

Old 03-27-2010, 08:52 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My service and parts manual are a PDF file...I going to have a hard time sleeping now after reading this thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:52 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Shutting this down by request of the OP.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:54 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

SBJJC,
You've had a tough couple of days, with the tail light stuff and all....

Here's how I see it. You may very well have bought the material off of eBay with receipt in hand. Who knows where it came from?

I have a service manual. It would be against the law for me to go to a local self printing shop, make 100 complete sets of my manual, then sell them on eBay, HDF or anywhere else for that matter.

HD owns the rights to that information & intends to make money on any transaction of said material (other than selling your original book). It has been stated that HD does not offer their copyrighted materials via .pdf file or other electronic means. Much like a musician and his/her music. Nothing wrong with that, it's business and protecting what is yours.

That being said.....I believe HDF does not want to be an "avenue" to pass such information from one to another. Honestly I don't blame them. It could turn into a hornets nest if ya know what I mean?

I wouldn't take it too personal.

Last edited by ashmarc; 03-27-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:55 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's odd, if rules are rules, where did you get your manual from?

Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl
As I explained in my post above, any pdf copy of an HD manual is pirated. Doesn't matter if you bought it off of ebay, you bought a pirated copy since HD does not offer the manuals in pdf format. Therefore, even if offering a copy of it for free, you are propagating pirated copyrighted material and that is forbidden here because as stated, the forum does not want to give the appearance of facilitating the exchange of pirated, copyrighted material.

Even though members cannot delete posts here, you can "edit" any post you make and you could have edited the post to say something to the effect of: ...... or <snip>, etc.

I wouldn't worry about the infraction too much. No one but the moderators/admins can see them. It will expire so unless you rack up some more and become a problem child, it won't affect you much.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:01 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

From you; several years ago and before I was a moderator and the exchange was made via PM's and not via the open forum. Emphasis on OPEN FORUM. Look, we realize these pdf manuals are available all over the place. Just do a Google search and you can easily come by them. Frankly I'm surprised HD doesn't go after those vendors more. Nonetheless HDF doesn't want them referenced in the open forum, so don't. Simple.

And BTW TLB, I have since bought a legal hard copy of my manual from 1of2 on here.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:00 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is your reply since you made it public, BTW I work for a living, this is a volunteer job sorry it took so long,,,, infraction stands, it's been explained to you, end of story.

Originally Posted by SBJJC
Well I got an infraction today and I asked for an appeal. I haven't heard anything from the administrator on my appeal. What does an infraction mean? It was a 30 pointer… I cannot find anything in the search about infractions.