Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full helmet wearers... see this!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 05:52 PM
redsled
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S1 4 Life
Not DOT certified
While I don't doubt that's the reason - makes me want to reply: And the peanut shells a lot of peeps wear are??

Old 04-01-2010, 08:21 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by redsled
While I don't doubt that's the reason - makes me want to reply: And the peanut shells a lot of peeps wear are??

Some are, some aren't. Most of those are not imported though.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:56 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 552 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
This is all well and good, but does not stop your neck from being snapped when you hit the pavement. how much of a vegetable do you want to be? Take me out first hand, but don't let me be a mushroom!!
That is a consideration, becoming a "mushroom"' or any "vegetable". But consider this: If your neck is "snapped" it will be because the helmet hit one, or more, of certain points.

There are many, many, more points which if hit can cause a brain injury. And a brain injury can cause a range of things. From death, to becoming a "vegetable", to having to begin life over again and relearn the most basic of things. The sad thing is that this damage can result at speeds which will be nowhere near enough to 'take you out first hand".

Weigh choices carefully, the possible result can be unexpected and last the rest of a person's life.

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 04-25-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:41 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 552 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by stev394
If I wanted to be safe and wear a bucket I would stay in my cage. It still irks me that people are "suprised" when they ask if I wear a helmet and I say NO. WTF if I die riding then so be it. I ride for the freedom and the mental peace it brings me not to be "safe" Beside read the stats Einstein the last 4 crashes in my state were all wearing buckets and all died.....hmpfff
Just so you know, "WTF if I die riding then so be it" may be a nice philosophy. Unfortunately though, sometimes a rider that crashes and bounces his/her head off of something solid doesn't die. But they do sometimes enjoy the "mental peace" caused by their inability to comprehend the world around them. Or they might understand the world but they are unable to be a part of it.

Buckets don't prevent all deaths. Especially deaths caused by injuries to the rider's body. Helmets don't even prevent all brain injuries. But whatever reasons anyone has for not wanting to wear a helmet only mean anything for the few minutes or hours they are wearing a helmet.

Possible damage caused by a head injury are constant and forever. Wear a helmet or don't, I couldn't possibly care less.

.....hmpfff

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 04-25-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:01 AM
redsled
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
This is all well and good, but does not stop your neck from being snapped when you hit the pavement. how much of a vegetable do you want to be? Take me out first hand, but don't let me be a mushroom!!
Obviously never crashed. Cuz if you had you'd realize what you're saying is a load of hooey. Anyone who's crashed hard enough to hit their head knows that the more better protection you have the better. The whole 'snapped neck' thing is a crock.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:28 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
That is a consideration, becoming a "mushroom"' or any "vegetable". But consider this: If your neck is "snapped" it will be because the helmet hit one, or more, of certain points.

There are many, many, more points which if hit can cause a brain injury. And a brain injury can cause a range of things. From death, to becoming a "vegetable", to having to begin life over again and relearn the most basic of things. The sad thing is that this damage can result at speeds which will be nowhere near enough to 'take you out first hand".

Weigh choices carefully, the possible result can be unexpected and last the rest of a person's life.

Ron
Since the recks I've seen from the 60's to now. Not many folks had snapped necks. it was road rash on their face and head. And where their head had hit the Black Top and the impact killed them from not having a helmet on.
Had a friend that lived threw it.
He will not ride without a helmet anymore.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:37 AM
SHTFIT
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, innovation in the industry is good. Time will tell if this particular product will take hold or be practical, but I can't knock them for working on ideas that could improve the ability to ride more safely.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:53 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Not only I'm not into full face helmets but knowing that my passenger sits higher than me and she's tall, the only view I'd get with this gizmo would be her.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:55 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

It is an interesting concept but I'm not sure how distracting it would be. For five Franklins I think I will pass for now.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:02 AM
KnightWRX
Road Captain

Originally Posted by GMbagger
I wear a proper fitting full face because I like my head. You don't see half helmets in football. There's a reason.
Because football players are big sissies ? Seriously, these guys play the same game, except without helmets or shoulder pads :

Quick Reply: Full helmet wearers... see this!