General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sears Jack to tall?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to roll my bikes front tire on a piece of 3/4 plywood I got as scrap at a job site out of the dumpster to get my Sears yellow jack under my bike.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:49 PM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deucegray
I have a 2x6 I roll onto ,rear tire , I know but it works .
I did it this way than i bought a pit bull jack

Old 03-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks to those who replied i went out and rolled it up on a 2X6 with the rear tire, Slid the jack right under it, raised it a bit and started doing some measuring and made some blocks, raised it right up and strapped her down no problems..then lowered it back down with no problems..Im in business. Sure will be easier to work on with it up. Thanks!!

Old 03-27-2010, 09:58 PM
booker55
Advanced
Veteran: Army
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought the red Sears jack a couple years ago for $67 on sale. It would only work with some sort of blocking or tipping as others have to do.

Today I finally said enuff and dicided to "fix" it. Don't have pics, but you can figure this out.

First step, pull out the hand grinder. I found that the bottle piston was not retracting fully. At the top of the piston is a 1/2" rod that pushes into two slots in the black bar the handle fits into. Pull the two side bolts and drop the handle assy, in a vise and grind out the slots about 1/4" deeper. Round them out so the push bar nests cleanly then bolt back on.

This will drop the red flat bar brace onto the lower frame. Grind a relief from front to 1/4" at rear to accomodate the brace angle. This may drop the black platform rail on to the front wheels. I pulled the wheels and groung 1/8" from the inside edge of the wheel. You could also grind the black side rails to fit over the wheels.

I also pulled the rubber pads from the platforms and replaced with thin nonskid vinyl.

This effectively lowered the jack by about 3/4" to 4 1/8" which allows it to be freely pushed under the Nostalgia with room to spare. It easily fits under the Ultra also. Total time: 30 min. Total cost: nothing. The result is being able to install from kickstand side, lift it with no hassle, and without the rubber pads, it is rock solid. This worked great on mine.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by booker55
Bought the red Sears jack a couple years ago for $67 on sale. It would only work with some sort of blocking or tipping as others have to do.

Today I finally said enuff and dicided to "fix" it. Don't have pics, but you can figure this out.

First step, pull out the hand grinder. I found that the bottle piston was not retracting fully. At the top of the piston is a 1/2" rod that pushes into two slots in the black bar the handle fits into. Pull the two side bolts and drop the handle assy, in a vise and grind out the slots about 1/4" deeper. Round them out so the push bar nests cleanly then bolt back on.

This will drop the red flat bar brace onto the lower frame. Grind a relief from front to 1/4" at rear to accomodate the brace angle. This may drop the black platform rail on to the front wheels. I pulled the wheels and groung 1/8" from the inside edge of the wheel. You could also grind the black side rails to fit over the wheels.

I also pulled the rubber pads from the platforms and replaced with thin nonskid vinyl.

This effectively lowered the jack by about 3/4" to 4 1/8" which allows it to be freely pushed under the Nostalgia with room to spare. It easily fits under the Ultra also. Total time: 30 min. Total cost: nothing. The result is being able to install from kickstand side, lift it with no hassle, and without the rubber pads, it is rock solid. This worked great on mine.
Thats whats holding it up, I looked all under for what was doing that, never glanced at the jack one time, Cool thanks, Looks like I will be modding the jack, I only need a little more clearance.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:03 PM
mena-nix
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A guy modified his Red Sears jack. He explains how in the Dyna forum. Check it out. It looks like it could work.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:56 PM
OUTLAW1969
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by deucegray
I have a 2x6 I roll onto ,rear tire , I know but it works .

Agreed. I walk the bike back, while straddling it, place my rear wheel on the board and then scoot the jack underneath it. Once the jack is underneath it, there is no way the bike will fall over, even without the side stand down. Then I just use the jack, as I normally would.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:22 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff W
So I bought myself a Jack at Sears, I get it home, I put it together and i decide to give er a little try, so i slide it under the bike and the daggum bike is to low to the ground for me to get it under, I can lift it a little and get the jack under it but now im needing to block in the right areas and im thinking there is NO way i will ever get it under the bike with blocks. anyone else have this problem and how do you get around it?
Also, Im going to be lowering the rear this week when my lowering kit gets in, so this is going to make it even harder to get on the jack.
Most are,,,, I drilled out the bolt holes and went from 5/8 to 1/2bolts and now she'll go under her easy.... just all bout mechanicals of the liftt.

Last edited by oct1949; 03-28-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:20 AM
jd533
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The J&S should roll right under with no hassles. Best jack built. jmho tho

Old 03-28-2010, 06:36 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I get ready to use the Red Craftsman Sears jack, I put a little more air in the rear shocks and the jack goes under the frame ok.

Quick Reply: Sears Jack to tall?