General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the worst weather you've ever rode in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:03 PM
lucky chuckie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tropical Depression Eight

Last edited by lucky chuckie; 03-27-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:06 PM
lofu
Novice

About 3 weeks ago, I picked up my '10 FLHX from the dealer about 60 miles away from home. The always interesting weather up here in Ma was supposed to "overcast and cool." Well, after riding the surrounding streets for the first 50 miles I decided it was time to head home. I jumped on the highway and up 10 miles from the dealership it started to sleet. Felt like i was getting my face tattooed. Long story short, when I got home I told my wife "That should have been the worst 45 minutes of my life but I just couldn't stop smiling. Definately wasn't the way I wanted our first ride together to be, but awesome regardless.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Haywire
Cruiser

Large HAIL,Rain and lightning storm. Ended up pulling over and and parking under a large spruce tree to get some shelter from the hail. Soaked right through to the undies. Just plain nasty.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:15 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 423 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by lofu
About 3 weeks ago, I picked up my '10 FLHX from the dealer about 60 miles away from home. The always interesting weather up here in Ma was supposed to "overcast and cool." Well, after riding the surrounding streets for the first 50 miles I decided it was time to head home. I jumped on the highway and up 10 miles from the dealership it started to sleet. Felt like i was getting my face tattooed. Long story short, when I got home I told my wife "That should have been the worst 45 minutes of my life but I just couldn't stop smiling. Definately wasn't the way I wanted our first ride together to be, but awesome regardless.
I can relate to "couldn't stop smiling". I find every excuse possible to get on my '10 FLHX!

Old 03-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Smug
Tourer

October 1987 had that freak snow and ice storm. Coming back from Montreal at night it was so f***ing cold through the Lake George region and we literally got snowbound in Albany. Pretty much the entire city of Albany was without power and we were riding through about 8" of snow on the roads. Held-up overnite in Albany and made it home the next day. Power lines and trees were down all over the place. In my town we were without power for a week or so. It was nasty.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:29 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

with the exception of a 2 1/2 hour ride in a snow blizzard over the Malahat to the Central Island...I rode from Prince George to Vancouver in the worst downpour I've ever seen in BC.

I never thought a storm like this would last so long...the entire 12 hour ride was through rain where the raindrops were the size of cars and coming down so hard it was bouncing right back up, so I had rain coming from the top AND the bottom. It turned the highways into virtual rivers and at times was mixed with hail and the wind gusts were blowing about 60km to 90km/hr.

At the time I didn't have a windscreen on my scoot either so just made it that much worse.

at the time I was thinking....never again would I do this trip in the spring...but now, after a couple years, I'm thinking....bring it on!!

Old 03-27-2010, 02:51 PM
hondaherb
Road Captain

We got caught in a hail storm between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. What do the cars do????they stopped and we were sitting in the middle of the road getting beat to death. (we were on a Goldwing with a sidecar, so we couldn't move)

Old 03-27-2010, 03:08 PM
FThrasher
Advanced

In the same train of thought here is video from the Elefantreffen. It is by the most hardcore rally in Europe it's open to all brand of bikes but it's in January February in Bavaria freezing ride to get there camping in the snow and then a long cold ride home. The bikers who actually do this are legends in Europe.
At 1.00 notice the ice on the sporty pipes..

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfY-kr8_sAM

Old 03-27-2010, 03:15 PM
goo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-27-2010, 03:25 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Three straight hours of cold downpour from Ocean City, MD to Baltimore, MD. No rain gear, no jacket, no helmet, no nothing (well I did have pants and shoes on.) Almost pulled over and gave up.

Quick Reply: What's the worst weather you've ever rode in?