General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley haters....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:41 PM
crawly
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley haters....

I've heard rumors about this, but I really didn't get the full spectrum until I owned one. I can't believe that there are some people who absolutely hate Harley's. I just can't understand that. When I go for a ride, I acknowledge everyone on two wheels regardless if its a crotch rocket or a metric cruiser. I ride with several guys that ride crotch rockets.

I just can't believe how many people loathe Harley's. It's actually comical to me....why waste your time?

The oldest Harley dealer in Ohio is right down the street from me, so this is a motorcycle town pretty much and for the most part, you don't get that crowd vs. crowd I ride this and that kind of crap. I dunno, I just can't grasp it.

I don't care what it is just ride it! I just can't see the big deal. Can't we all just get along! lol Some people will always like conflict I suppose.

I'm done venting. It's hardly riding weather lately....so maybe I'm just cranky lol

Old 03-26-2010, 10:52 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you look around at a lot of people who ride harley's there's a lot to hate. combine the ridiculously loud pipes, pirate gear, and all around attitude (of some not all by any means) harley riders and you can see why some dislike the entire harley culture.

that's not to say that sport bikers don't have their own annoyances, 100 MPH wheelies and plastic mohawks on their helmets to name a couple.

all in all most people are decent and just want to ride, but you're right there is a subset of people who just enjoy the conflict and us vs. them nonsense.

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (12-14-2023)
Old 03-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

I have a good friend whom I've known since first grade. He's owned everything but a Harley. It's not that he hates them, he just likes other motorcycles better. Money is not an object. He currently owns an Yamaha FJR1300. He's the guy we should all admire because he just doesn't give a s**t what others think.

DuciDay (12-14-2023)
Old 03-26-2010, 10:57 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Sometimes I think the people that complain are the folks that grew up when honda made for the most part better quality cars than the US. And all harleys leak oil, times have changed, and people too. Some just want to hop on and ride with out having to do any wrenching or pre-flight inspection at all. Maybe a generational difference. They surely miss the whole aspect of riding a harley.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:01 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey, tony p, how many sheets to the wind were you when that pic was taken? How come I never get invited to parties like that?

Tony P (12-23-2023)
Old 03-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea you are right a lot of people are Harley haters. The mainstream bike mags. are among the worst- they don't miss any opportunity to put down Harleys or the people who ride them. It's OK with me, the feeling is mutual.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:24 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
if you look around at a lot of people who ride harley's there's a lot to hate. combine the ridiculously loud pipes, pirate gear, and all around attitude (of some not all by any means) harley riders and you can see why some dislike the entire harley culture.

that's not to say that sport bikers don't have their own annoyances, 100 MPH wheelies and plastic mohawks on their helmets to name a couple.

all in all most people are decent and just want to ride, but you're right there is a subset of people who just enjoy the conflict and us vs. them nonsense.
This answer is the biggest reason! there is a lot of dudes that are pretty good people until they strap on their "Village people" costumes and ride down main street snubbing everyone except the other road warriers in their group. I see that kind of crap around these parts a lot but I also hear a lot of riders mentioning it & shaking their heads.
Real loud pipes dont help much but the dudes that have to crack the throttle from light to light make it a lil worse!

DuciDay (12-14-2023)
Old 03-27-2010, 12:22 AM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I ride a Harley because that's what I want to ride. My buddy rides a Hyabusa, another friend rides a Victory, my cousin a Kawasaki, and my uncle a Honda. None of them put down Harley and I don't put down what they ride. They are all two wheeled vehicles that get them "in the wind." I don't care what other people think about me and I don't think my friends and family care about what others think about what they ride or wear. Just too much nonsense around the "Harley hate."

Old 03-27-2010, 01:07 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

you know.. its strange i started ridding a harley at 21yo. evryone i knew hated harleys.. i heard evry bad thing about them, and every joke.. now it is getting obtainable, all my buddys eather ride a harley or are doing evrything possable to get one.. hd is the best thing ever made...????

Old 03-27-2010, 01:09 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harley haters? Give me a break. I don't think anybody really gives a sh*t either way.

DuciDay (12-14-2023)

Quick Reply: Harley haters....