General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike crashes and death threads.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,269 Likes on 1,582 Posts

To motivate other bikers and concerned people to get on their lawmakers and make laws tougher.

It gets old seeing the attitude that "motorcycles are dangerous, they should have known better". Then the driver of the car gets a walk.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:45 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

The close calls while riding, and other observations while riding do plenty to alert me what to watch out for. Hearing about some stranger that got nailed by someone passing another car does nothing to teach me or alert me to anything.
You'r right, sometimes chit just happens. But there are also other times that reading about an accident, and how it happened, just might save a forum member's life if he learned something from it.

The terrible accident in Arizona is a perfect example. For me, it was a grim reminder to watch the rear view mirror, keep it in gear, and have an escape route.

Last edited by BassCatcher; 03-26-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm not a fan of obits and bandages. I've been around long enough to know s**t happens. I don't particularly need to be reminded of it. Yet at times, I do find myself curious of the circumstances that led to the accident. Was it the biker's fault? Cage? When I went through the MSF, it taught me a few tricks for survival I didn't know. It's already paid off. Ask me how I know... Ride safe my fellow forum members!

Old 03-26-2010, 06:05 PM
ken b
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My personal opinion is they have their place. I for one feel it's important when one of the brotherhood has lost their life for what ever reason. The key is the threads need to have their place. I do not go to the engine section to read about the loss of some one.
I believe the section they are posted in should apply to the content of the message.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:35 PM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Many great replies and points of view. I believe for me, it is about balance in life. As sad as it is to hear stories like this, for me, it puts into perspective just how valuable each moment is. Prior to the accident, I am sure the folks were enjoying each other and had not a care in the world but just living the moment. When I hear of things like this, I hope I can take away just one small bit of information that will help me be a better rider.
Take from it what you will and share what you learn.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:18 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

One thing is for sure, ignoring the problem will not make it go away.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:44 PM
deadbug
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DocJ
Think of it this way:

When you buy a motorcycle, any motorcycle (be it a Harley, Honda, Yamaha, etc), you are at that moment a member of the two-wheeled family.

Regardless, we all care about each other and keep tabs on news and events that happen within the family. Much like you would like to know major events that may occur with your cousins, so we take interest in our extended family of motorcyclists.
enough said

Old 03-26-2010, 07:57 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

It helps us be mindful of the risks we take every day, thankful for the enjoyment we get riding our motorcycles, and compassionate for those who suffered tragedy or loss in this community of ours.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:01 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's like any other community.....you care about what happens to its members even when you've never met.

If the report is detailed enough I can maybe learn enough to avoid such a fate. I used to climb mountains quite a bit....the American Alpine Club publishes reports of climbing fatalities every year....not be morbid, but to help people survive.

It keeps me on my toes, and perhaps more appreciative of the time I have left here. I don't dwell on it a great deal, but when you've ridden for quite awhile you will probably lose a few friends and acquaintances to motorcycle crashes.....I have...some crashes were easily avoidable, and others just couldn't have been predicted. I aim to avoid the preventable ones. This is a thrilling, and dangerous activity.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Spooky2621
4th Gear

I've only been riding for about a year now (it's my only mode of transportation, so I ride everyday). I'll be honest, when I first started riding and heard these stories, I would wonder what the hell I was doing riding. I mean if bad things can happen to riders with a buttload more experience than me, I've got no chance. But I took the MSF courses, I continue to practice and seek knowledge from those with more experience. And now I am confident in my abilities. If something bad ever does happen to me, at least it happened doing something I love.....

Quick Reply: Bike crashes and death threads.