General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike crashes and death threads.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 05:05 PM
freddyttt
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Fair enough... and of course i meant no DISrespect to anyone.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Huge stories like our recent Arizona tragedy, as well as stories about a loved one are definitely worth posting.
But it's hard to look at constant reminders of ugliness that aren't even "out of the ordinary" or related to someone on the board.

Cars crash all the time, we are not posting about those, so why do we need all the "reminders" of bad things?

I've said this before on other death threads. I had a non riding coworker that thought since I ride that I must be interested in every single bike crash that he happened to read about.
I don't want to hear that chit all the time. Why would I? Just because I ride?????

As far as making me a better rider,..... I just don't see how.
The close calls while riding, and other observations while riding do plenty to alert me what to watch out for. Hearing about some stranger that got nailed by someone passing another car does nothing to teach me or alert me to anything.

All this stuff does is bum me out and take away from my experience.

I hear "you don't have to open the thread",.... but I already had seen the title so the damage is done.

It's a dangerous game we play. Don't make it an ugly game.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:17 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Toypuller
Maybe, just maybe, something in a story will keep somebody else from being another post on a website.
That's kind of my take on it too. Stories or threads like these just might help keep people on their toes a little bit more, at least that what I get out of it. Complacency is dangerous, we all know what can happen when our guard is down.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:19 PM
DC-LoudSound
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are some great replys here ... keep reading, and take what works for you from these posts. Stay Safe Everybody !

Old 03-26-2010, 05:22 PM
noname
Club Member
Received 989 Likes on 541 Posts

Sometimes things are so awful we have to discuss them as a coping measure. Also sometimes we really do want to express best wishes and condolences to others involved. Noname

Old 03-26-2010, 05:24 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by freddyttt
why do people start threads involving bike crashes/death. Im a newb and i guess i just dont understand the reason for such threads.
- As a reminder.
- As a lesson - something to be aware of and watch out for.
- As a tribute to those who died.
- Solidarity/brotherhood - a feeling of loss.
- The OP is pissed off about the cause of the wreck or the lack of consequences for the killer.
- There is no single reason. Each OP has his/her own. You'd need to ask them for their specific motivation for that particular thread.

The good news is, all threads have a title, allowing you to have a pretty good idea of what it's about *before* you click on it. If you see something you are not interested in reading... wait for it... DON'T CLICK ON IT!

Old 03-26-2010, 05:27 PM
FThrasher
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just posted a thread with a link to news clip on th AZ crash . My motivation for doing so is to have a thought for fallen brothers and also pass on information in case any HDF mebers are concerned or involved.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 466 Likes on 192 Posts

Its a way of learning from other riders situations so that hopefully we can be better prepaired if we are put in the same situation. I would also like to think that we would take a minute to say a prayer for those involved.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:31 PM
P47
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I think of when I see these threads is that "there are no posers". That term comes up frequently, but anyone that will hop on a two wheeled vehicle is no poser in my book.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:38 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are many reasons why people post and read threads about misfortunes of others. Some consider themselves to be member of a 'brotherhood' of sorts, and anything that takes down one of their 'brothers' or 'sisters' is shared amongst the masses.. then, some due to their common interest have tuned into a tragedy that involved someone with the same connection.

We've all had close calls, we have all lost someone close to us .. and when we hear of someone else .. even a perfect stranger.. become a vicitim of circumstance there is a common connection. ... We can identify with those who have fallen and succomed.

The threads you see here, on this forum are mostly of support and condolences. They reach out to those who have lost. In my mind ... It's really kind of nice .. for us all to take that moment to reflect. Hearts are humbled and we join together, even if it's for a moment.

Quick Reply: Bike crashes and death threads.