General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone installed detachable saddlebag hardware, Softail Deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:15 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone installed detachable saddlebag hardware, Softail Deluxe?

I'm totally frustrated with this supposedly 5 minute installation. I've installed the male posts to rear fender using lock-tite. Now my frustration- I make sure the female spring-release is positioned with slot "down" over the posts, per instructions, allowing bags to be pulled up and off after puliing back the locking spring-release. My problem is that the female (slot) must be rotating ever so slightly when I tighten it to the bags. I've even marked both the male/female and it appears they remain lined up after tightening, but, the set-up doesn't work and I have to loosen and try again. Anyone encountered this or have a suggestion? The instructions sucked so I had one of the parts guys tell me what to do, but here I am. Thanks Mark

Old 03-26-2010, 02:32 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of detachable brackets and bags are you using.??????? easy bracket?? gohost brackets???? Harley Davidson?????? Cycle Vision???????????

Old 03-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Romey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are installing Easy Brackets you need to have the key in the lock and turned to the unlocked position to fully seat the bracket on the posts.

Romey

Old 03-26-2010, 02:44 PM
SixSixRider
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The good news is that it sounds like you're using the same set-up I put on my wife's Deluxe a few years back. The bads news is that I didn't have any serious alignment issues! Once installed, I found that they didn't disengage easily and on one side releasing the front pin, pivoting the bag, and THEN releasing the rear worked. On the other side, I had to do the reverse (rear pin 1st). Otherwise I wasn't able to remove the bags. The fit is SO precise, that the rotation of the female slot needs to be perfect (or nearly so)....there are SO MANY jokes that could be inserted here.....but I digress. Sounds to me that tiny adjustments with trial and error will be the only thing to get you there.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:48 PM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a set of Auburn Leather saddlebags on my Deluxe using the Easy Brackets. Your description doesn't sound familiar, so I'm assuming you're not using the Easy Brackets? Like cowboy said, you'll have to give a bit more info.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:35 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hardware was purchased from HD who got it from drag specialties I think. Anyhow, the package came with a couple extra spacers and cotter pins which I looked cross-eyed at for a couple days. That's when I took it in to Harley and the parts guy set me straight. Those pieces were for the Heritage and I didn't need. What was left were 4 male posts I screwed into the fender using my original spacers ( I have the nostalgic hard locking bags/detachable backrest). The other 4 posts have a half moon slot on the end that slips over the male, the slot must be facing down. To lock/unlock there is a spring mechanism you pull back on the shaft so the slotted end can be lifted up and off the male. The problem is, when I tighten the female to the bag, it rotates the slot just enough to throw the whole dang thing out of wack. Seems like it has to be dead-on perfect, which I haven't been able to do. I've even marked both the male/female and appears that they didn't move?

Old 03-27-2010, 02:07 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a set of Cycle Visions Bare Backs on my 02 Wide Glide. They had the same problem you are describing. They worked really good except one of the bags had to be taken off a certain way. You had to pull back on the release spring on the rear first, then pivot the bag forward and release the front release. It was a pain in the ***, but not enough of a pain to make me quit using them. I loved to be able to remove the bags when not in use.
I logged lots of highway miles on them and never had an issue. I'm sure the guy that bought the bike is still using them.