General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide vs. Road King

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:27 AM
kingofsand21
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Glide vs. Road King

Not trying to start a nut sak match here or anything, but hopefully in the next year I may be looking at upgrading from a 2001 dyna super glide. Im really looking at the RK and SG. I like the SG a little better but not sure if I like it that much more to pay the extra cash over a RK. Im also not sure weather or not I want to buy brand new or find a good deal on a bike a couple years old and save a few G's. I realize that its my decision but just looking for what others have to say. Also im 5'8 and like the lower seat of the SG if I were to put a RK that low would I lose much clearance and would the ride change much?

Old 03-26-2010, 11:37 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default tough choice

Both bikes are really great touring bikes. I traded my road king classic in for a new SG. One weekend of 1400 miles and rain, I decided I wanted the batwing for a little more protection. I love the radio/ipod with the fairing as well. I have been really happy with the SG, I have over 2000 miles on it. I also loved my classic..cleaning the SG is much easier and faster...

Old 03-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,290 Likes on 1,584 Posts

If you like to ride in the wind, Road King has a removable shield. You can also add a removable fairing for not a ton of cash. best of both worlds.

I had the same decision back in August. My wife finally pointed out I don't use a shield if I can avoid it, and RK made the most sense.

Can't go wrong with either.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:52 AM
cowboy-bc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Toypuller
If you like to ride in the wind, Road King has a removable shield. You can also add a removable fairing for not a ton of cash. best of both worlds.

I had the same decision back in August. My wife finally pointed out I don't use a shield if I can avoid it, and RK made the most sense.

Can't go wrong with either.
Hi all,

That's my advice and I have both sitting in my garage. A street glide is an awsome bike but with a RK you can buy an after market fairing that looks as good with a real sound system that you can take off anytime you want.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:03 PM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a Fatboy to a Street Glide, The SG is a great bike, but I miss the tough look of the Fatboy, I think the RK with a set of V&H big radius pipes might have been a little more along the lines of what I really wanted. "That traditional HD look."

Old 03-26-2010, 12:04 PM
michaelm
Tourer

Either way, a newer bike -- '09 or later, with the new frame and ABS brakes is well worth the extra cost.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

Had a RK and loved it but it was getting along in age. I walked the line between another RK and a SG.

Advantages of RK for me:

1. Being able to remove the windshield and the stripped down look

2. Being able to see that chrome headlight and front end when rolling down the highway

Advantages of the SG for me:

1. Tunes

2. Plain paint job - no ugly pin stripping or crappy tank decal

If the RK came with a plain (no stripping) paint job I would have gone with it and bought a detachable fairing for the tunes. JMO

Old 03-26-2010, 12:17 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I always tell people in your situation to rent BOTH bikes for a weekend and see which YOU like. What's comfortable and fits one person, might feel the opposite to someone else. Either bike is a great bike.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:18 PM
mid evil train
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a RK and I sold it and bought an 09 SG, both bikes are great. I love the stereo, and the slightly lower stance of the SG. If I want a little wind, I put on the stock SG windshield, if I'm going on a longer trip, I put on a 10" Clark's windshield (no wind, great protection). The RK's' do look good with the detachable fairing, but when all is said and done, you'll probably spend the difference between a RK and SG on that fairing.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

I go back and forth on what my next Harley may be. I demo'ed all the '09 baggers. My favorite to ride was the SG. It was surprisingly easy to handle at low speeds - probably due to its low center of gravity. I wear ear plugs, so the stereo meant nothing to me. Besides, if you say you can hear it clearly at highway speeds (70-80 mph), you're telling an untruth or have upgraded it to gansta power. On the other hand, the RK was hindered by its poor handlebar - the first upgrade for sure. Even at my age, I still enjoy the occasional "wind in the face," which the RK can provide. The RK looks damn good without that windshield! Plus, it's not slammed in the rear, thus offering more suspension travel over rough roads. If I was to choose, I would buy the RK simply because it embodies what I like in a motorcycle. Regardless of my opinion, you can't go wrong with either.

Quick Reply: Street Glide vs. Road King