General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide vs. Road King

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:04 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

after riding an Ultra for the past year it kind of has me yearning to be riding a bike without all the bells and whistles. I know it sounds funny but to me sometimes on the ultra I don't even feel like I am on a motorcycle and kind of wish that I had something a little simpler. I know that sounds corny but if I had to replace my ultra today it would be a road king classic.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:42 PM
mid evil train
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mp
So which SG means Street Glide and which one means Super Glide?
It sure would be easier if people used the letter designations Harley actually gives the bikes, i.e., FLHX or FXD. Would that be so difficult?
No one buys Super Glides anymore, so we just assumed he meant Street Glide.....Since it was in comparison to a RK...(Road King FLRCXYPDCUD)

Old 03-26-2010, 08:48 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the SG, but I'd own either. No matter what you are going to end up spending a ton to make the bike fit your riding style - handlebars, seat, tunes, etc...

Old 03-26-2010, 09:41 PM
JerryL....
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mp
So which SG means Street Glide and which one means Super Glide?
It sure would be easier if people used the letter designations Harley actually gives the bikes, i.e., FLHX or FXD. Would that be so difficult?
If you read the Title of the thread, you knew what he meant when he said SG. Just sayin...

Old 03-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Mr Wasabi
Cruiser

A Street Glide is my next bike.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Albreave
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O.o!

Just looked at those fairings from Wide Open Customs, wow! Guess what just made my Xmas list for my Fatboy?!

Given, if I had to start from scratch, I'd definately just grab a street glide. But I do like that everything on the FB is quick removable.

Knowing that the fairing exists, the RK + fairing is mighty tempting option.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:43 PM
CarbideDude
Tourer

I've owned both, and love both bikes. I definitely like the Street Glide better. On my Road King it seemed like I was constantly changing handlebars and seats and various wind deflectors trying to get comfortable. Not so with the Street Glide. Also I like the dash on the Street Glide a million times better than any Road King fairing I've seen. Also now that I've changed to a 6-1/2" Clearview windshield (8" in the winter), I definitely prefer the wind flow on the Street Glide over either of my Road Kings.

That being said, would it bother me if my Street Glide got stolen and the only other bike I could get would be a Road King? Hell no, not one bit. The classic looks of the Road King make it the prettiest bike of all (just my opinion), plus I'd go with some taller apes. Road Kings give you a great feeling when you're riding them.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Sofa King Goofy
Intermediate

I started with a Super Glide '05, transitioned to a Street Glide '06 and now have an '09 Road King. The new frames starting in '09 make a big difference in handling characteristics. The fairing on the Street Glide can be a sail in the wind. I'm 5'10" (and shrinking with age) and changed the RK seat to get closer to earth and the handlebars. All great bikes. Enjoy the anticipation, its almost the best part...

Old 03-27-2010, 02:50 AM
mid evil train
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sofa King Goofy
I started with a Super Glide '05, transitioned to a Street Glide '06 and now have an '09 Road King. The new frames starting in '09 make a big difference in handling characteristics. The fairing on the Street Glide can be a sail in the wind. I'm 5'10" (and shrinking with age) and changed the RK seat to get closer to earth and the handlebars. All great bikes. Enjoy the anticipation, its almost the best part...
Sorry, but I dont get the sail in the wind thing. I have had the RK and now the SG and a Electra glide classic, along with several Softails,Sporties etc. I have never noticed a difference in handling, high speed , low speed parking lots etc......mY SG (Street Glide FLHX) handles better than any Harley I've ever owned, and I push it on occassion. Fact is, it aint a crotch rocket, and your good to 120, so if that works, dont worry about the performance, just consider the look you want and go from there.

IF there are any major gramitical errors in this post, I opologize, its 4 in the morning here, and I've had enough Crown Royal to float a good size turd..... G'NIGHT!