General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made in China????!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 12:24 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnT
Of course, when all the good-paying jobs are out-sourced, off-shored, or otherwise disappear and all that's left are low-paying service jobs, this won't be a problem. You won't be able to afford a motorcycle or parts to put on one. Unless, of course, you have a government job, then you'll be in fat city.
I'm curious where people get this idea. The US work force isn't, and never has been limited to blue collar factory jobs or low paying service jobs. Blue collar factory job typically didn't pay all that well. There were a few unions who changed that in some industries, but not all. Not even most.

There are a LOT of good paying jobs outside of manufacturing.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:26 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe55
Corporations destroyed the working and middle class in this country...
Must have been a typo. I think you meant to say corporations *created* the middle class (all over the world, not just in the US).

Old 03-27-2010, 12:43 PM
jasony0423
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get it, either. My computer is made in another country, but designed in California, according to the box. I bought it from a store here in the US, though. Pretty sure the guy who sold it to me lives in the US, too. The chair I'm sitting in was also bought here. It was assembled in the US, as well. (By me)
My car was built, made, assembled, or whatever you want to call it, in Japan. I looked at American cars when I was shopping for it. I wanted to buy an American car when I bought it. I'm from Detroit, so I have family that works or worked for the American car manufacturers. The fact of the matter is that I drive a lot. a LOT. I needed to buy a car that would not only be reasonable to maintain, but would do it without breaking down once it reached 50,000 miles. I now have 232,000 miles on my '04 Lexus ES330. Total I've spent on it, other than routine maintenance? $0. Even with the high mileage, KBB still says it's worth almost three times what an equally equipped '04 Lincoln LS is, and I paid less for my Lexus than the Lincoln dealer wanted for their LS. Still bought the Lexus in the US, and I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:22 PM
happyhooligan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without manufacturing jobs, the 18 percent of our population who are unemployed will remain unemployed. I'm worried that our current unemployment will influence additional layoffs. In addition, we will not be able to sustain our quality of life due to the huge and growing debt caused by our imbalanced trade. I afraid my great grandchildren will grow up with a quality of life comparable to life in a third world country. Our politicians have negotiated free trade agreements in an effort to develop world trade. They should have negotiated fair trade agreements instead.