General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made in China????!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 05:05 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
If people had been worrying about this 20 years ago we might not be in the mess we are now...tip for the day - learn chinese.
People actually worried about it longer ago than that. In the early part of the great depression of the 1930's, nationalism & protectionism were tried and proved to be a huge failure, causing more harm than good. There are a lot of ideas that look good on paper, but don't actually work in the real world.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:49 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
People actually worried about it longer ago than that. In the early part of the great depression of the 1930's, nationalism & protectionism were tried and proved to be a huge failure, causing more harm than good. There are a lot of ideas that look good on paper, but don't actually work in the real world.
True, but there must remain a domestic manufacturing base. An economy isn't going to thrive on service sector alone. China not floating their currency and being communist skews things a bit. We are not talking free market here. Theirs, most definately is not.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:52 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 03-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,685 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Have any of you ever thought this is the new cold war. Called your eyes wide shut !

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 03-26-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:06 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

translation: making everything you own (including most of your Harley)

Old 03-26-2010, 06:30 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I remember back in the 80's, we were all going to have to learn Japanese. During the cold war, we were all going to have to learn Russian. Someone is always going to take over the US and we're all going to have to learn a new language. I think I'll just hold out until we're going to get taken over by England and we're all going to have to learn English. It should be easier for most Americans, since many of us already have somewhat of a grasp of the basics.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:42 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Consumer Driven

Everybody wants to sell or manufacture for the U.S. market, until around 1968 we took care of our own needs and kept about everybody employed making our own goods, plus a little exporting! Surplus of trade, balanced budgets, Ah! those were the good ol days!

Nobody on this forum probably remembers when you could not buy a TV or a Car that was not an American Brand name, well a few odd car makes!

Now we float this wet dream economy on credit and import everything! No manufacturing or other high paying jobs so we are having a hard time selling big ticket items, ask MOCO!

A third world country with nukes, a banana republic to China! When the bonds get downgraded that we sell to prop up this house of cards we will see how benevolent the Chinese are! I think they are already dumping their U.S. holdings. Yea, buy Chinese! ***** Harley's are probably just around the corner! Prison labor bikes, child labor parts! Yea, the Unions are the culpret the corporate constitution don't say nothing about a living wage.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:57 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Consumer Driven

doubled up?

Last edited by coupe55; 03-26-2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 03-26-2010, 07:00 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default Rip Off Harley

Check out that new Harley Zippo, Pa. lost a lot of jobs to this rip off!

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-9919783.html

Old 03-26-2010, 07:21 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bear68
Has anyone else started getting a bit annoyed about EVERYTHING being made in China? I went looking for a new pair boots for riding. Started at the HD dealer, then the local Western wear stores (6 of 'em!) and finally bought a pair of boots from a local Spanish owned shop, El Rodeo. Everything in there was in Spanish ( I can handle a few words and was able to muddle my way through, luckily the salesperson spoke English Quite Well!) The boots I bought were made in Mexico. Well, at least th money stayed on THIS continent...
Today I stopped in at the HD dealer again and was lookng at some accesories and chrome.... AGAIN Made In China or Made In Taiwan. Harley Davidson is supposed to be an American company. Should be made in America, same as the accesories and parts and clothing... Just my opinion. I work for a Toyota dealer and at a time when the Big Three (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) are moving to Mexico and Canada, Toyota is opening plants here in the USA.

COME ON HARLEY!!!! USA FIRST!
better get used to it,in less then ten years they will be worlds largest economy!!

Quick Reply: Made in China????!!!