General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made in China????!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:13 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

where u been for the last 10yrs or so.....

Old 03-26-2010, 12:54 AM
tom071200c
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too can't understand what the big deal is about stuff made in china (or anywhere else really)...I would guess most everyones computers (or other electronic devices) that they are using to visit the forum are made overseas. It is a fact of modern life that with global manufacturing some stuff is not gonna be made here. I try to buy American made things as much as possible but if something I really want isn't made here it doesn't keep me from buying. I'm pretty sure Harley isn't gonna change just cause we bitch about it on this forum. I agree with everyone that it sucks but hey whatta ya gonna do...sit and drive yourself nuts worrying about it? I sure as hell won't.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:41 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

If it makes any of you feel better, 2,300 shoe manufacturing facilities have close in China recently - in a single province. I imagine that put an awful lot of Chinese people out of work. Perhaps, if they are unable to find work, they'll immigrate to the US and become Americans.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:48 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,257 Likes on 4,784 Posts

I was just up in Ottawa and went to Freedom Harley there. Looked at a couple of Jackets and some T's and they were "Made in the USA"....go figure. One Jacket that I've seen at home for around $450.00 with a made in china tag was almost $700.00 in Canada with a made in the USA tag. I was confused by all that so I went and had a couple of beers.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

About the only thing not made in China is the engine, frame and sheet metal. Most of the accessories and motoclothes are from Mexico, India, China and Taiwan... Life as we know it...

Old 03-26-2010, 01:02 PM
joesride
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do some looking around, you can find plenty of boots, jackets, gloves and other riding gear made in the USA.Not sure about helmets.And there are still places that do beautiful chrome work as well if you are into that type of bling.The internet is a great place to find what your looking for. J&P cycles puts an American flag next to items in their catalog made here in the states etc.Although CHINA pretty much owns the USA anyway for what its worth.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Maple Leaf Hog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to say but someone mentioned work going to Canada.
Couldn't be more wrong. We get paid as much as you folks and now our dollar is at par we are losing our manufacturing to Mexico, China, etc. GM, Chrylser and Ford have closed some of their plants, only Toyota and Honda are still operating. I buy Canada/US made AMAP. Even make sure my cars are final assembly in Canada or US. Good paying union jobs and all. I think we are all losing this battle and our so called leaders are doing nothing about it.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:18 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there happens to be a USA version of what I'm looking for within reach I'll grab it. But otherwise, at times you can't get around buying chinese. On the other hand Harley makes the WORST eggrolls. So, you know, whatever....

Old 03-26-2010, 02:00 PM
tgshoe
Road Captain

As for th OP's original quest, I recently went through looking for new boots and found a large number still made in the US. Danner, Justin, Wesco, White, Chippewa, Redwing, Rocky, and others all have some or all of their product lines made in the US. I went with the Chippewa Super Loggers. Made in USA and very comfy. As far as Toyota goes they may have plants in America but drive at your own risk. Interesting note about Harley's parts, I recently changed the stock seat on my SG for a Sundowner and noticed the stock seat on my '09 SG said made in USA on the bottom but the replacement Sundowner said made in China. Could more of the stock parts be made here and more of the replacements be made out of country? Who knows, all I know is Harley is an American company and I will support them, and any other American company, when I can.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Minnesota FXDF
Cruiser

Originally Posted by joesride
If you do some looking around, you can find plenty of boots, jackets, gloves and other riding gear made in the USA.Not sure about helmets.And there are still places that do beautiful chrome work as well if you are into that type of bling.The internet is a great place to find what your looking for. J&P cycles puts an American flag next to items in their catalog made here in the states etc.Although CHINA pretty much owns the USA anyway for what its worth.

Bell motorcycle Helmets are now being made back in the USA, well California anyway.

Quick Reply: Made in China????!!!