General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We lost several today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, I would like to echo the prayers and condolences to the victims and families of this tragedy.

I would also like to say that this is one scenario I've seen personally as a line fire fighter, and it's the one situation that, as a motorcyclist, scares the he** out of me. There are very few situations on the bike where we are more vulnerable. Sitting stationary, in traffic, with cars coming up from behind. This guy was playing with his paperwork but it could just have easily been some teenager texting a friend or anyone with a cell phone to their ear.

If this situation doesn't give all of us incentive to leave the bike in gear, keep an eye on the rear view mirrors, and have a preplanned escape route picked out, especially when we're the last vehicle in line at a stop sign or red light, I don't know what will!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Last edited by Intrepid175; 03-25-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:39 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Terrible news, but 20 bikers?

>>Eight motorcycles carrying at least nine people were stopped at a stop light <<

Prayers to all those involved.

Mark

Old 03-25-2010, 10:44 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife and I are left without words. Such an incredibly horible tragedy for everyone involved. Our hearts, prayers, and condolences go out to the riders, families and loved ones of these poor souls. RIP and God speed to the injured.

Please be carefull out there my friends.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

That just plain sucks. My prayers to those recovering, the families of those lost and to all their friends.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:53 PM
08HD
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
First, I would like to echo the prayers and condolences to the victims and families of this tragedy.

I would also like to say that this is one scenario I've seen personally as a line fire fighter, and it's the one situation that, as a motorcyclist, scares the he** out of me. There are very few situations on the bike where we are more vulnerable. Sitting stationary, in traffic, with cars coming up from behind. This guy was playing with his paperwork but it could just have easily been some teenager texting a friend or anyone with a cell phone to their ear.

If this situation doesn't give all of us incentive to leave the bike in gear, keep an eye on the rear view mirrors, and have a preplanned escape route picked out, especially when we're the last vehicle in line at a stop sign or red light, I don't know what will!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.
Very well said

Old 03-25-2010, 10:59 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

this is horrible. my thoughts with the families of those involved.

i watched the video clip on the link posted. i HATE how they say "the crash involved 8 bikes and a truck..."

the crash didn't involve 8 bikes. the crash involved 1 distracted piece of **** truck driver. i hope justice is served.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:29 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Just shaking my head..... prayer to all who need them...
Puching people WAKE up.....

Old 03-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Pops
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being on the recieving end of someone that wasn't paying attention that ran a redlight a few years back I still do not understand. The fool that T-Boned me at 51MPH told the police that he was distracted. Now these folks suffer because he was screwing wth paperwork! There is absolutely no excuse for this and DAMMIT IT WAS NOT AN ACCIDENT....

Old 03-26-2010, 12:21 AM
itimmers
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of this over driver inattention... Senseless loss of life is more like it.

This occured less than 10 miles from my home... the wife and I are dazed and sickened by this horrific chain of events! That group was heading to Cave Creek, a favorite spot we like to frequent. Those trips will no longer be the same after today. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families whose lives have been turned upside down. To the driver: May the lord have mercy on his soul....

Old 03-26-2010, 12:21 AM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Pops,+++ no words work

Quick Reply: We lost several today.