General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We lost several today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:48 PM
noname
Club Member
Received 989 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
e-mail address for the owner of Blue Sky

toddmielke@***.net
I think a better link would be for the local law enforcement authorities so we can urge them to pursue involuntary manslaughter charges against this driver and not just let him off with a traffic citation. What exactly do you want to happen by posting a link to the company the guy worked for? Noname

Old 03-26-2010, 08:27 PM
F_CPT98
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Such a completely avoidable tragedy. My thought and prayer are with everyone effected by this especially the families of the people who lost their lives.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by noname
I think a better link would be for the local law enforcement authorities so we can urge them to pursue involuntary manslaughter charges against this driver and not just let him off with a traffic citation. What exactly do you want to happen by posting a link to the company the guy worked for? Noname
That is silly, pestering his employer (who did nothing wrong, and will be penalized anyway, without the email "harrassment").

But urging the cops to press more charges is a waste of time, too.
There is such a thing as "law" and they have to follow the law. They can only charge him with whatever the rules allow them to charge him with.
Nothing (not even mass emails) can change what is written into law.

Those rules actually come in handy sometimes (big secret: That's why they wrote the laws).

Excuse the reality check.

Carry on with your dreams of revenge.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:08 PM
CraigsStreetbob
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
That is silly, pestering his employer (who did nothing wrong, and will be penalized anyway, without the email "harrassment").

There is such a thing as "law" and they have to follow the law. They can only charge him with whatever the rules allow them to charge him with.

Those rules actually come in handy sometimes (big secret: That's why they wrote the laws).

Laws can and do change through the State's Legislature. We all need to contact our elected State officials regarding different potential laws to be enacted.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:59 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigsStreetbob
Laws can and do change through the State's Legislature. We all need to contact our elected State officials regarding different potential laws to be enacted.
Not going to affect this particular driver. That stuff takes time.

Unless he was drunk or in a construction zone, they will see this as an accident (not a crime). He will lose his job, pay some fines, and the companies insurance will pay dearly while losing some profit this year.

Life will go on as usual for everybody but the victims families.
End of story. All the emails in the world won't do anything to change that.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:14 PM
rborsholm
Advanced

RIP fellow riders. We have lost 3 riders up here in Victoria, British Columbia in the last month from cages turning left in front of them. And the govt here is saying that the motorcyclists are dangerous and need to be regulated. Seems like it is a open border issue with regard to idiots driving bad and causing us to lose fellow riders at an alarming rate. Be safe out there and condolences to the rider's families.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:49 PM
noname
Club Member
Received 989 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed

It's not a dream of revenge and it's not unrealistic. You are right about laws on the books and them being there for a reason. Laws like involuntary manslaughter when you act so reckless and stupid that you kill another even though that wasn't your intent. That's what I'm talking about. Noname

Old 03-26-2010, 11:53 PM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

I was thinking more along the lines of negligent homicide.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Mr Haus
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened just a few miles from my church. I had to change routes because they closed the road before I left church. I never really paid attention to the reason why until this morning when one of my friends called me to see if I was ok. This is the worst accident that I ever heard off. My prayers go out to all the victims and to the club they belonged to.

You just are never safe. I went to the candlelight vigil tonight, and on the way back I came to a light. I was safe, stopped, looked both ways, and proceeded to make my right hand turn on red. Then of course, the one place I really didn't pay attention to was the guy in the left hand turn lane who decided to make a U-turn instead. Not really sure who would have been at fault... I think he would have been. If the world hasn't changed too much, right hand turns should have the right of way... but who knows. Got lucky, he seen me and I also seen him before any impacts happened.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:28 AM
itimmers
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just received an update that one of the critically injured has passed on... Bringing the total to 4 lives lost now. This info is according to someone close to 2 of the deceased, it was one of the ride organizers for yesterdays rides turned tragedy who has passed away... I'm still in shock over this, and will be for quite some time to come.

Can anyone confirm the meet up at 10am tomorrow morning at the scene?

Quick Reply: We lost several today.