General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage vs. Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:24 PM
sammer4u
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Heritage vs. Ultra Classic

Looking to make the plunge, local dealer has an offer out there for a couple of bikes. Big question is what does everyone think about the two, pros and cons... My big thing is I have been a Heritage fan for as long as I can remember! I recently started to look and get interested in the Ultras. Bigger thing yet is want something for the wife to be comfortable in the back of, and I know she would be comfortable in the Ultra....

Please any info, pros, and cons would be appreciated! Looking for honest opinions to help make my decision a bit easier!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 01:34 PM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh goody...just what we needed after the whole Dyna v. Softail thread. Sorry, just couldn't help myself.

The obvious diff is sheer size and bulk. I have a couple friends that wouldn't ride anything other than an Ultra, but it's just too much chit on a bike for me. Your best bet would be to rent one of each, and take the missus for a ride. You might be surprised at which she will prefer. My wife used to look at our friends' Ultra's and drool over that barcolounger rear seat...but then, she took a short ride on the back of one, and while she thought it was right comfortable, she didn't like how it felt "closed in" to her. However, she is a bit jealous that her girlfriends can get in a nap going down the highway on the back of their OM's Ultra's.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:38 PM
bullseye
Road Captain

TAke a nap AND listen to tunes. I traded my Heritage back in '01 for an Ultra and will never own another bike without a stereo. But then we take a lot of longer trips between bar hopping.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Scooter68
Road Master

Originally Posted by TequilaJohn
Oh goody...just what we needed after the whole Dyna v. Softail thread. Sorry, just couldn't help myself.

The obvious diff is sheer size and bulk. I have a couple friends that wouldn't ride anything other than an Ultra, but it's just too much chit on a bike for me. Your best bet would be to rent one of each, and take the missus for a ride. You might be surprised at which she will prefer. My wife used to look at our friends' Ultra's and drool over that barcolounger rear seat...but then, she took a short ride on the back of one, and while she thought it was right comfortable, she didn't like how it felt "closed in" to her. However, she is a bit jealous that her girlfriends can get in a nap going down the highway on the back of their OM's Ultra's.
Hit the nail on the head. Rent one of each and try them both out is all I can say.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:47 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

If you like music & take lots of trips get the Ultra. I took one out with my SO on the back. Then I took out a Heritage. We both liked the Heritage probably because I'm used to the "B" motor & she hated the vibes at idle & slow speeds around town. The Heritage is very comfortable for her & the ride & handling are excellent. But if you want music & a car dash up front, Ultra. Did you think about a Street Glide? It's somewhere in the middle of the two.

Last edited by golfblues; 03-25-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:58 PM
drakeky
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Ultra, while very nice, is just too much for me. I love the Heritage and it really is two bikes in one. You can drop the windshield, saddle bags, and put on a solo seat and have a mean muscle type bike look like a fatboy, or you can put all the goodies on and throw on a tour pack sissy and you have all kinds of room to put things to make a trip. Best of both worlds if you ask me. Plus I like the looks of the Heritage better.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:01 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem and bought one of each although it's a RK. I like them both very much and they're very different. You really have to research, sit on, test ride each bike yourself and decide which one fits your needs best. Or buy one of each.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:06 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

For the wifes comfort, it's the ULTRA all the way. ..........Either way, you are in a win, win situation, because they are both great bikes!

Old 03-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

As others have said, it's personal preference, if you take long trips, there is a reason they call it the touring family. It's what they are made of. Yes it's a big bike but you will be surprised at how easy it rides. Plus lockable bags abd they never get saggy.

The Heritage is a great looking bike with that old school look. The B motor is smooth. To me it doesn't ride as smoothly as the Ultra. A great short trip/bar bike.

I think the idea to rent both for a weekend is great, that way you can evaluate each on a trip or around town. Good luck with yuor choice

Bub

Old 03-25-2010, 02:34 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior

I just traded a 05 Deluxe for a 2010 Ultra. That might have been a big mistake. To me the Softails ride better. So much smoother. The Ultra is good if you just want to ride the interstate at 80 mph. Slow speeds and stoped are bone shaking..... Go rent one for the week end and try it out. The ol lady hated riding the new Ultra. The vibration is to much. the seat angled back and it was very uncomfortable for her. I took a block of foam rubber and cut it into a wedge to level her seat out. She likes it better now. My seat is not that comfy either. Gonna have that fixed. She also complained of more wind knocking her up side her head too. She aint tall either, kinda short like. If you like the softail better and want the fairing ect. you can put them on the softails,, like I said , the Ultra is good at interstate speeds but any where else it feels like a train with square wheels..............

Quick Reply: Heritage vs. Ultra Classic