General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage vs. Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Zrakk
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much think as long as you have the MoCo's vtwin rumblin' beneath, you can't go wrong with any of 'em!

Old 04-18-2010, 11:23 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Owing several versions of Gold Wings over the years I figured I'd be an Ultra kind of guy, that is until I test rode one in '07. I found it to be far under powered and the bat wing was more for stopping bugs than reducing wind.

I rode the entire '09 HD line up and felt that the Heritage Soft Tail to be my favorite. My wife disagreed, for her its only the Gold Wing or nothing else.

So for myself I decided on a '09 FXDC since I got a super deal on it last summer. When we ride together, it has to be on the Wing, otherwise I'll never hear the end of it. So now I have both the Wing & the Super glide custom. I wouldn't mind owning a Heritage though if I can get it into our garage space with the other vehicles.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:34 PM
charlieonehorse
2nd Gear

I have an 06 Heritage with 35K miles. Just bought a 10 Ultra. If i had to sell one, it would be the Ultra. All i would miss is the tunes. Wish I hadn't bought the Ultra, but am trying to like it. Leaving next week for a 3K ride on the Ultra. We shall see how that goes.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:39 PM
screamin softail
Road Master

The longest trip I have taken so far on my CVO Softail is 330 miles but I was comfortable the entire trip. The Ultra was just too heavy for my liking and riding style. Much longer trips are planned. Love the softail.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:19 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I love reading all the responses complaining about the vibration of the UC. Makes it easy to tell who are fairly new to HD. HD's vibrate. If you want smooth, try a Gold Wing.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:55 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I ride a 2010 Heritage. I've tried to set it up for the long rides. The first thing I added was locks on the soft leather bags. Then a 17.5 inch Mustang Seat with a backrest and a 15 inch passenger pillion. I also added a quick release and docking kit for the back rest so that I could add a tour pack. Added 200w speakers from Cycle Sounds for the iPod plus a USB charging port that hangs from the gas tank bolt. Added a chrome center stand, Vance & Hines 3 inch Twin Slash slip-ons, Harley Super Tuner, and a Stage I kit. I wish it had ABS because it's real easy to lock up the back break and I wish it had a bigger back tire for a little more stability. I hate the fact that it has no clearance. I always scrape the floor boards on sharp turns or going around a corner to fast. And I avoid speed bumps at all cost since the bike will bottom out even with the shocks at the tightest preset.

So, you're probably asking why I didn't buy a tourer? I'm asking myself the same question and I'm trading this bike in for one as soon as I can. It's a gorgeous bike and nice around town, but it's no Ultra.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:18 PM
stevieg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
Ultra all the way w/o questions. See my avatar as it tells all. Heritage isn't for me...Just don't like the detailing of the metal buttons all over the seat and leather saddlebags.
Neither did I so I "un-studded" mine. But, I still have the seat, passenger pilon and the bags if I change my mind.

Attached Thumbnails Heritage vs. Ultra Classic-heritagecrp4640.jpg  
Old 07-05-2010, 07:28 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Apples vs oranges.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:33 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieg
Neither did I so I "un-studded" mine. But, I still have the seat, passenger pilon and the bags if I change my mind.
There you go...Not a bad looking bike. The question is...Why do we have to pay the price and strip down the un-necessary items off the bike ?. However, I'd rather pay full price on an Ultra and ride it out to the maximum leaving plethora of cheesy smile on my face.

Thorey