General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage vs. Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 04:37 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bdawg
If I had a hard time chosing, I would get the RK, seems to be in the middle.. but what do I know... I'm new to HD's... now ask me about Aprilia's and I can share some info...

Man, I wouldn't even announce that to my friends!!

Old 03-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Dannymc
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 25 years out of the saddle I had a later than mid life crisis and bought a 2007 heritage classic. After 17,000 miles I still love it and so does my wife. Our longest trip was 2600 miles covering 5 states 2 years ago. Our longest day ride was 12 hours. We were tired but the ride was great.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:15 PM
wb0zrd
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy the Heritage.

Paul in Colorado

Old 03-28-2010, 05:21 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bdawg
Why has no one mentioned the Road King?
because a bunch of Softail owners replied

Old 04-07-2010, 08:21 AM
05heritage
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just traded my 05 Heritage for an Ultra Limited. It is a totally different ride that will take some getting used to. But so far I don't think I would go back.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:42 AM
sammer4u
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I was at the Dealer on Saturday. Long story short, they had three used ones on Thursday and told me to come in to look at them. Wife and I get there, and they were all spoken for. They have a 03 coming in today, suppose to go look at it, but I am #2 on the list. The sales person I am working with is great, and understands my wants and needs. He said if the 03 comes in and the first person does not want it, it will be held for me to look at. Otherwise I told him that come May I will have a bike and if it is a new one, I will just have to deal with it. Sounds like the used ones are going the minute they get them in, with barley enough time to let them dry from the wash bay!

Again thanks for the great stuff here!

Old 04-07-2010, 09:54 AM
2K1FLHPI
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want something more or less midway between the looks of an Heritage and the comfort of an Ultra, consider a Road King.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're looking for comfort for the wife, go Ultra. If you're looking for comfort for you, go Ultra. If you're looking for classic lines, true Harley look, and the respect of every other motorcycle on the road, then I'd say, go Ultra! All of us go through the softail phase at some point, many of us have more than just one or two models in that softail lineup. And then we move on, riding what we said we never would, listening to the stereo we said we'd never have, and enjoying the windshield and batwing that we all said were for "Old Geezers"....Enjoying the heated grips we said were for girls, treasuring the cruise control we said was for cars, and loving the storage we always said were for Cadillacs. It's a process we all go through. And you are just entering the doorway to your destiny. It's just a fact of life. If you don't go Ultra now, you will, it's just a matter of time.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:33 PM
BigBrad
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
and enjoying the windshield and batwing that we all said were for "Old Geezers".....
Umm us young'ns still say they are for "Old Geezers"..... Perhaps you are just part of that club now?.........lol.

Nothing wrong with Ultra's. I'm just not ready for one yet. I imagine when I get to a certain point in my life I'll make the switch like so many others have.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:48 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I hear ya BigBrad, and you're probably right, I am in that club now. But it sure is a comfortable club to be in. My last long ride with my son that rides a 999R Ducati was a kick when we pulled over at a rest stop. He said: "Hey Dad, how about I ride the "Lazy Boy" for a while and you can kill some bugs with the Duck? I laughed and took my turn hunched over the tank like I knew what I was doing. That thing is wicked fast, and not very comfortable for the long haul, but.. Sure is fun around the track, and down the canyons though.

Quick Reply: Heritage vs. Ultra Classic