General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage vs. Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:26 PM
hog-ryder
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a ultra. U can strip and ultra down like the street glide put detachables on it. I ride solo most of the time when the wife rides takes about 10 min to change seats and put the tour pack back on. I have the 4 in deflector on I love the ultra.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:31 PM
Pops
Road Captain

You should really ride both with our wife and not just for a little trip around the block. My wife and I rode a Fatty for over a year and I alwayss felt bad that she did not appear to be comfortable so I picked up the Ultra and hell yes she enjoys the ride. We like to go on long trips speding multiple days on the road and not once has she ever had an issue. She likes to take photo and loves the safety of not having to hold on...ood luck with your choices and please post a photo of the end result.....Oh I nearly forgot, Greetings from Big Lake Alaska

Old 03-26-2010, 06:01 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Ultra all the way w/o questions. See my avatar as it tells all. Heritage isn't for me...Just don't like the detailing of the metal buttons all over the seat and leather saddlebags.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:10 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Tough choice, Ride the wheels off either one of them.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:41 AM
sammer4u
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks much for the input!!! I plan to lean much more towards the Heritage. I have loved the looks and styling for the past 20 years. If nothing else, it can be traded in a few years later for the ultra. I have taken in all the helpful information and appreciate the time to chime in! I have always been comfortable with the bike I have. I bought it on looks and I am comfortable on it. The wife, she loves the look, loves to drive it, hates to ride on it. Plus it is not really much for two up riding (Intruder)

As soon as I get my Heritage, I will be posting pictures up and probably looking for maintenance hints and advice. I do all my own work as much as possible!

Thanks again, and this is a great site!!

Old 03-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

I had a lowered '89 Soft tail before I went to the Ultra so my wife could ride with me. There is a lot of differences in ride and handling and it took a while before I really started enjoying the Ultra. Believe me, that is the way to ride! The last 8 years have been some of the best times we've ever had.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:35 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by bdawg
I'm new to Harleys, so what I'm hearing is the B engine goes into the softails, are rigid mounted to the frame. The touring bikes have the A, with no balancers but are rubber mounted, and shake like no ones business.

So why not rubber mount a B motor in the touring bikes?
Cause it's not as smooth at highway speeds. The A motor just floats at speed. The B is still smooth at speed but not as smooth as the A. But at low speeds the B shines.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:54 AM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Love my Heritage!

Old 03-26-2010, 10:08 AM
DanD
Road Captain

does this mean I shouldn't have ridden all over the country on my dyna?

Old 03-26-2010, 10:14 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,107 Likes on 5,313 Posts

Originally Posted by sammer4u
Thanks much for the input!!! I plan to lean much more towards the Heritage. I have loved the looks and styling for the past 20 years. If nothing else, it can be traded in a few years later for the ultra. I have taken in all the helpful information and appreciate the time to chime in! I have always been comfortable with the bike I have. I bought it on looks and I am comfortable on it. The wife, she loves the look, loves to drive it, hates to ride on it. Plus it is not really much for two up riding (Intruder)

As soon as I get my Heritage, I will be posting pictures up and probably looking for maintenance hints and advice. I do all my own work as much as possible!

Thanks again, and this is a great site!!
I'm sure you won't be disappointed having chosen the Heritage. The only problem you may (actually, will) have is choosing from the vast universe of aftermarket accessories for it. I've taken many 2000+-mile trips on mine, and never been less than totally comfortable. Post up when you've got your new bike!

Quick Reply: Heritage vs. Ultra Classic