General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage vs. Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Harley Joe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason H-D makes so damn many models and styles of bikes is so everyone can choose what they like.....

Old 03-25-2010, 08:16 PM
SoftailDon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harley Joe
The reason H-D makes so damn many models and styles of bikes is so everyone can choose what they like.....
Harley Joe pretty much sums it up.
Just try them both and pick what feels best for your type of riding.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:23 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Kind of like comparing a tomato to a potato (I like them both but they are different in many ways).

I love my RKC because she has her own scoot and the only 2-up we do is when kids or company are in town and we take them out to see AZ. If I did any real amount of two up it would be an Ultra for sure. Heck, sometimes I think about switching anyway and getting the tour pack quick remove. I like the look of those with the trunk off!

Just my $0.02 and I am sure the Softie is a great cruiser in it's own right. Congrats on having a tough choice!

Old 03-25-2010, 08:48 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it is worth, the Heritage is my "touring" bike of choice. Over 20K miles in less than a year and lovin' every mile. I tested the bagger, just not for me. I can load as much chit on my Heritage as folks do their baggers and ride all day long. Your opinion my differ though when you make the smart move by testing them out yourself. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Araba Shriner
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer the Ultra for all the extras that it comes with. Quick detach allows me to undress it as much or little as I want, depending on my needs at that time. It sure rides and handles better without that extra weight back there. And I use Progressive shocks which are lower than the stock ones, and I have a different seat which sets me back an extra inch or so. Love the tunes and cruise too !!!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:16 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboy Harry
..... like I said , the Ultra is good at interstate speeds but any where else it feels like a train with square wheels..............
......... and that, is why the MoCo makes these,

Old 03-25-2010, 09:44 PM
PUBA ONE
Tourer
Thumbs up

I made my Heritage into a "Heritage Ultra Classic", put a faring on it as well as the tour pak, turned the saddelbags into hard bags with a support kit and voila! With the exception of a radio, it has all the creature comforts of the Deckers, Love the ride and sitting "in the bike" instead of on it. I am NOT bashing the touring bikes, but this is what 'I' like. For that matter I love the whole lineup HD has to offer, just need a huge garage and a winning lottery ticket!!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:53 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I love my Fatboy (like a Heritage) and have taken many long trips on it. I've also ridden the Ultra Classic, but it is just too big for me. You have to find what you are comfortable with and your riding style.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:01 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Wow.... got a hr....
1st, its all what U plan on doing.? how do U ride, trips??

I'll try to keep it short... new in 07 heritage, I love the spots and leather look, at 60+ I've loved its look for yrs and alway wanted 1.

Wifes medical condition won't let her ride in hot midday sun, nor be gone from home long so long trips R out

We do ride everyday we can, nice weather, for anywhere from 2-5 hrs. 4-5 hrs is her daily limit. Did have to put the touring seat and backrest + floorboards on rear for her comfort. the stockers stink.

She hates the batwing and hard bags look. so + 1 for the Softy
She is comfortably enough on ours that she has went to sleep back there many times.

Still if U plan on taking the long trip, U'll need all the storage areas U can and then some, if we could, with grandma I'd have to ride an Ultra and pull a camper.......HaaaaaHa...

I never rode an ultra but did ride a RK last fall in the HD days,,, my honest Opinion is I didn't like the feel of it (like sitting on top of bike rather than in it, as the Heritage) nor did I like the bars ( too low and wide), after riding the King I took ours over the same route right after the test. IMO.
I like the Heritage better and wouldn't trade even, for the way we ride, I'll keep what we have..

I've heard for yrs how much a king rides better than a Heritage,, I just didn't feel it...
I've been in maintenance all my life and feel I can judge the differences of the bikes with an open mind and give a true report, and i have and did....

Last edited by oct1949; 03-25-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:03 PM
bdawg
Cruiser

I'm new to Harleys, so what I'm hearing is the B engine goes into the softails, are rigid mounted to the frame. The touring bikes have the A, with no balancers but are rubber mounted, and shake like no ones business.

So why not rubber mount a B motor in the touring bikes?

Quick Reply: Heritage vs. Ultra Classic