General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage vs. Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:38 PM
kmac89
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the same boat as you,always wanted the Heritage but when I was ready to buy,S\O and I had about 4 long trips planned out,so I went with the Ultra and I'm very happy I did,it is a lot smoother of a ride and has more storage space and I love the radio but it's a big investment so you have to get what is going to make you guys happy.Renting the two sounds like the way to go

Old 03-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 413 Posts

Give the wife a test ride on both bikes, then see what she thinks. I recently moved from an Ultra Classic to a Softail Custom. The Ultra was nice, but after 5 years, I realized the only features I valued were the tour pak and windshield. The rest was overkill for my riding style.

If the choice was mine, I'd go with a Heritage. I've always admired ones with black paint. They make the chrome studs on the seat and bags really pop. The Heritage is more versatile, lighter, easier to handle and vibrates less than the Ultra. It looks better, too. And while it's a minor thing, Harley has finally solved the problem with sagging bag lids on the Heritage. My only nit with the Heritage is the laced wheels. They look great. But if you get a flat, you can't plug them at roadside like cast wheels with tubeless tires.

Last edited by Geoff; 03-25-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:05 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

they both weigh too much.......

Old 03-25-2010, 03:07 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
they both weigh too much.......

Actually my Heritage is easier to handle then my Softail Standard. Go figure. I think the smaller/wider front tire & the skinnier rear (Std has the 200MM) are the reason. The Std has more rake too.

Last edited by golfblues; 03-25-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TequilaJohn
Oh goody...just what we needed after the whole Dyna v. Softail thread. Sorry, just couldn't help myself.

The obvious diff is sheer size and bulk. I have a couple friends that wouldn't ride anything other than an Ultra, but it's just too much chit on a bike for me. Your best bet would be to rent one of each, and take the missus for a ride. You might be surprised at which she will prefer. My wife used to look at our friends' Ultra's and drool over that barcolounger rear seat...but then, she took a short ride on the back of one, and while she thought it was right comfortable, she didn't like how it felt "closed in" to her. However, she is a bit jealous that her girlfriends can get in a nap going down the highway on the back of their OM's Ultra's.
Damn good advice TeqJ.
I have had RK's and Heritages...loved em all. If I was to do all over again...Ultra would be the choice. You can always take stuff off then put it bacvk on if needed.
Wife is big fan of the UC.
If the pesos were right, I would have one of each.When I say one of each I mean everything from Sporty to UC CVO and every HD in between
Do the UC!!

Old 03-25-2010, 05:45 PM
True Grit
Cruiser

Originally Posted by drakeky
The Ultra, while very nice, is just too much for me. I love the Heritage and it really is two bikes in one. You can drop the windshield, saddle bags, and put on a solo seat and have a mean muscle type bike look like a fatboy, or you can put all the goodies on and throw on a tour pack sissy and you have all kinds of room to put things to make a trip. Best of both worlds if you ask me. Plus I like the looks of the Heritage better.
+1 but i'm biased

Old 03-25-2010, 06:57 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Hell, as cheap as Harleys are going for, Buy BOTH. My friend just picked up a really nice 1998 Ultra for $8K, You can probably get a used Heritage for the same amount. A few years back you would spend over $16K just for one of them. It's only money!!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:20 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Get the one YOU like. She'll either ride, or stay home.

I'm getting a Heritage, whether the wife likes it or not. She's never ridden an Ultra, so she won't know what she's missing until someone rats me out. By then it'll be too late.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

We have both. Don't worry about the radio. Just put a J&M2003 on the Heritage and you have a CB/WX and a input for you Ipod. I ride the Ultra and I like it very well. If you practice you can ride the Ultra slow with no problem. Try them both and see what you end up with.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:44 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

I have one of each in the garage (OK, wife has a Heritage). I know which one I prefer! I rode hers for 50 miles the other day and couldn't wait to get back on the couch...errr I mean Ultra!

Quick Reply: Heritage vs. Ultra Classic