General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kids on your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Lusty72
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids on your bike?

My daughter has been bugging me for the last year to go for a ride on my bike. When I had my chopper, it was a resounding "no way". Now that I have a Street Glide I'm torn on the issue. I bought her a full face helmet at the end of last year because I thought my mind was made up. Now I'm not so sure. My daughter is without question the most important thing in my life and if anything would happen to her I would feel like dying, especially if its something that could have been avoided. On the one hand, I'd love to be able to share something with her that I love so much. But I'm wondering if the risk is worth it. By the way, she's 7 years old. I'm leaning towards her being too young right now. I'd like to know all your experiences with bringing your kids for a ride. How old, what precautions did you take, etc.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:42 AM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see kids as young as 4 or 5 riding on the back all the time.

If she is a safe passenger (no wiggling, etc) then by all means, take her out for a ride. Telling her no would make her feel of less importance to you because she obviously knows riding is a passion of yours. She wants to be a part of something that is important to you to make herself also feel important to you.

I hope what I'm saying is coming across correctly...

Old 03-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put on a back rest, bring up the foot pegs, AGATT, and go for a ride...

Age is not so much a rule for me as the ability to be a proper passenger. If they can SIT STILL and do like I tell 'em before we roll, they can ride

Being only 7, I'd probably opt for the short rides to the ice cream shop, around the neighborhood, church, and stuff like that -- low traffic times, slower speeds, close to home.. after she gets some miles, then start stretching it out some.

Some of my earliest memories are of my old man riding me to the end of the road on his Moto-Guzzi. I cant even remember how little I was, but I remember the rides...

Thanks Dad !!!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Robin A
Cruiser

No Way !!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:46 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take her for a ride Dad. You'll know what to do. You don't have to go fast or far to give her a thrill.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Cabocarl
Tourer

I took my 2 sons out on my old Goldwing and now on my E.Glide. They started at 7 or 8 with the full face and all that. No highways until I took my 14 year old on the 911 Memorial Run last year. They had to learn to stay still especially my older son.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:49 AM
racrx
5th Gear

All my kids get to ride 6,8 & 13. The length of the trip varies with age it is an awesome time for some one on one time with each of them!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:54 AM
DirectShot
Intermediate

Went through the same feelings and thoughts with the wife and daughter. Someone just made the comment..... you will know what to do.
Go with your gut feelings, you will know what is safe and when to have them on the bike.
Not to put them on your ride I feel is not the correct thing to do... "The family that Rides Together...... " well, you fill in the rest.
Good luck and ride safe.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Peck
Cruiser

Pretty controversial issue, in the end it is up to you, my daughter started riding with me at 7, she is 9 now. Full face helmet leather jacket gloves etc. feet must touch pegs and know to hold on and stay still. Take it slow at first and it won't be long till your out riding all your normal roads for hours. There are times I do tell her no because I worry about something happening though.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're going to get all kinds of responses here with a lot being "No way. Too young."

I started giving rides around the neighborhood when they were young - 3 - 4 yrs. old. But I own a Electra Glide Classic so they have something to lean against.

* I had helmets that fit the kids. - You've covered that.
* They had to have long pants/jeans, long sleeve shirts, and shoes to cover toes. If they had some boots(over ankle) it was better.
* Went over the basics with them about leaning, staying in place and holding on to me or the handrails(which you don't have).
* Let them set the speed. I would start slow & barely get out of 2nd gear. I'd ask how it was and if they wanted to go a little faster. If too fast, then then would pat me on shoulder and say so. I'd then slow down. But never had anyone say too fast. I guess because I kept it around 20 when younger.
* As they got older, took them for little longer trips in neighborhood. Have never taken any on expressway.

Now that they are older - 7 - 20 - I've taken them on back roads for 10 - 15 miles or so. this past weekend I had 3 - 2 @ 15 yrs. & 1 @ 10 yrs. - at house doing yard work. They happened to see the bike in garage and mentioned how I used to take them on rides. Guess they were hinting about going on some. That'll be plan this weekend when we go to one's B-Day party.

One of the funniest sites my wife chuckled about is our 8 yr. granddaughter propping herself up on the seat, putting her feet on the saddlebag guards and having her arms on the tour pack back like she's sitting on a throne. Her feet do reach the floorboards but she likes riding like that.

And one of my grandsons when he was in 2nd grade(he's in 9th now), was thought to be the coolest kid in class because I would pick him up sometimes after school. It was about 3 miles from the house.

Last edited by Unome; 03-25-2010 at 11:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Kids on your bike?