General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kids on your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:20 PM
rborsholm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take (took) both my son (9) and daughter (7) on the bike. I did upgrade from a VTX to an Electra Glide just so that they were seated better on the bike. With a backrest, they are pretty protected. Also have the intercom which is great.. They both like to ride with me but it is my daughter that is always bugging me to go... Unfortunately she was with me when the two riders were killed by a stolen car about a month ago - I stopped and helped as best I could at the accident - my daughter was taken by a nice couple up the road a bit so she could not really see what was going on. Since then, my wife gives me the look "No Way" whenever she asks to go for a ride. In this case, I don't blame my wife for the look at all.... Maybe give it awhile before we go again...

Old 03-26-2010, 11:52 PM
bfgoodmudder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used to ride with the little one on the front then switched to the back. She digs it. Caught her dozin off a couple of times. That was scary. Gotta make sure she isn't sleepy before we ride. That HD rumble puts her out if she is. Just turned 4 and always tells me about all the harley stuff she'll get me for my birthday...lol. My 9 yr old loves to ride too, picked up from school, short highway trips, etc... The main thing is to go into extreme caution mode. I can get pretty ballsy by myself so I have to make it a point to chill. It's scary to think what could happen but fear is meant to be overcome. We live in a rural area so traffic isn't a big issue but there's still idiots out there and it only takes one. I saw more than I cared to today. Still, I can't imagine not letting them ride along occassionally. Might as well sell the bike.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:37 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
This is significant additional information. I don't need to tell you, this is the kind of thing that could lead to an order limiting visitation to supervised time. Or some other backlash. Be careful.
This is vital info for sure. Being a step-dad I know the problems of dealing with an ex so I suggest going with your ex's decision. For now it is between her and her mother, when and if her mother agrees she can ride, then you make the decision if you want to risk it at that time.

Having said that, I have been taking my granddaughters for rides since they were 6 and 7. They live in the country so traffic is not an issue with us just going around a few blocks. I was more worried with the older one behind me since she never moved, never said anything, just sat in the back seat of my Ultra with a huge smile. I had to reach back occasionally and feel for her to make sure she was still there. The younger one wanted to make sure all her friends in the neighborhood saw her so getting her to stay still and hold on was an issue. She was too busy waving!

When I would get to their house, both of them would be out at the mailbox waiting for me to get there. Having already decided between them which one was first an that one would be wearing all the riding gear they shared.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:11 AM
noname
Club Member
Received 989 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by bfgoodmudder
Used to ride with the little one on the front then switched to the back. She digs it. Caught her dozin off a couple of times. That was scary. Gotta make sure she isn't sleepy before we ride. That HD rumble puts her out if she is. Just turned 4 and always tells me about all the harley stuff she'll get me for my birthday...lol. My 9 yr old loves to ride too, picked up from school, short highway trips, etc... The main thing is to go into extreme caution mode. I can get pretty ballsy by myself so I have to make it a point to chill. It's scary to think what could happen but fear is meant to be overcome. We live in a rural area so traffic isn't a big issue but there's still idiots out there and it only takes one. I saw more than I cared to today. Still, I can't imagine not letting them ride along occassionally. Might as well sell the bike.

Cute kids! Noname