General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kids on your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Lusty72
My daughter has been bugging me for the last year to go for a ride on my bike. When I had my chopper, it was a resounding "no way". Now that I have a Street Glide I'm torn on the issue. I bought her a full face helmet at the end of last year because I thought my mind was made up. Now I'm not so sure. My daughter is without question the most important thing in my life and if anything would happen to her I would feel like dying, especially if its something that could have been avoided. On the one hand, I'd love to be able to share something with her that I love so much. But I'm wondering if the risk is worth it. By the way, she's 7 years old. I'm leaning towards her being too young right now. I'd like to know all your experiences with bringing your kids for a ride. How old, what precautions did you take, etc.
Daddy put me on the Indian when I was still in diapers...By the time I was five I rode on the back...NO passenger pegs & NO bitch bar.

I've taken several 2 -3 year olds for their 1st ride(just around the block).

ETA: At the risk of sounding like a bitch, WHY do you pull the "Do as I say, Not as I do"? If your children have the same love for the ride as you do, why keep them from it?

She's seven. Take her for a ride!

Last edited by Gypsylady; 03-25-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Lusty72
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gypsylady
Daddy put me on the Indian when I was still in diapers...By the time I was five I rode on the back...NO passenger pegs & NO bitch bar.

I've taken several 2 -3 year olds for their 1st ride(just around the block).

ETA: At the risk of sounding like a bitch, WHY do you pull the "Do as I say, Not as I do"? If your children have the same love for the ride as you do, why keep them from it?

She's seven. Take her for a ride!

Exactly. She's 7. Not 18 and an adult. I also drink beer and watch ****. And I'm not down with her doing those things. So I'm not "pulling" any do as I say b.s. I'm trying to be a resposible adult and parent. And from this thread I'm not the only one that has weighed the pros and cons of this. I'm betting there's plenty that HAVEN'T taken their kids for a ride at this age, but haven't chimed in for fear of getting chit for it. I'm also a single Dad like a few others and have to deal with a real bitch of an ex. She has voiced her thoughts on this as a resounding NO. I'm not about to go behind her back on this, but before I start fighting for what I want to do, I need to decide what I want to do. So thanks to most of you for your thoughtful and personal experiences with this.

Gypsy, I could be mixing you up with someone else, but did I read you were in a pretty horrific accident while on your bike? And it wasn't your fault? Hpw would you have felt with a child on your bike when that happened?

Last edited by Lusty72; 03-25-2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: added content
Old 03-25-2010, 10:09 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

nice lookin glide you have!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

Gypsy, I could be mixing you up with someone else, but did I read you were in a pretty horrific accident while on your bike? And it wasn't your fault? Hpw would you have felt with a child on your bike when that happened?

Yes, I was in a horrible wreck. I lost my left arm, my career & my Harley. I was not at fault. However, it was just past midnight...I would never have a child on that late at night.

On the flip side, my oldest daughter (just turned 26) took her motorcycle safety course while she was pregnant with my grandson, who was born last April. Her & her hubby both got bikes....Thankfully, Row agreed with me & picked up a little Rebel until she learns how to handle a big ride. My Mom & Sis are losing their minds because Row's riding.

PS. Go to www.flickr.com/photos/gypsylady1 There's a folder there called "Bikes in my life" You'll see me & Daddy.

Personally, if she still wants to ride after her mother was nearly killed, I'll back her 100%. I DID send her the "Ride like a pro" video.

I'm not trying to tell you how to take care of your little one...I just know how much I loved Daddy for taking me with him! (I lost Daddy over 20 years ago)

Last edited by Gypsylady; 03-25-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:36 AM
Scrooge
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm trying to be a resposible adult and parent. And from this thread I'm not the only one that has weighed the pros and cons of this. I'm betting there's plenty that HAVEN'T taken their kids for a ride at this age, but haven't chimed in for fear of getting chit for it.
You are absolutely right here. And you are the only one who can make the decision! As a matter of fact, 2 decisions as the mother seems not really positive. There are two questions I would like to ask you; 1) do you feel confident enough to ride with your kid on the back? Lack of confidence on a bike is a recipe for disaster in general. And 2) is it worth it? Seems you have to battle the mom as well.

My daughter is 11. I have a Street Bob on order. Main reason for the delay; the back rest is in back order. I feel confident enough to drive with my daughter on the back (I know it is not the same, but we cycle a lot in the Netherlands and I was used to cycle with her on the back as well - she is fully aware off what happens is she does not sit still). However, she can only join me provided she wears full protection (and that includes ear plugs!), she has a good position on the bike (back rest, food pegs) and her mother approves.

Remember; there are so many that can advise. But only you can decide!

Old 03-26-2010, 03:27 AM
donna.1965
Moderator "Queens Of The Road" Forum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hubby has 30 plus years of experience riding, and started taking our kids, then 8 and 10, for rides shortly after getting his current bike.

Our now 12 year old (almost 13) daughter rode about 800 miles on the back over President's day weekend. Our now 11 year old son rides very little because he actually gets so relaxed he falls asleep on the back. Not good for anyone, so he even chooses not to ride.

I don't have a bike right now, but I've had my endorsement for less than 2 years, so I wouldn't even consider putting one of them on the back of my bike.

Oh, they also ride on their uncle's bike.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:20 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Take her on shorter,slower rides around town. You know, down to the Dairy Queen and such for an ice cream or burger. You'll need to explain to her the finer points of balancing on a bike. Kids have a tendency to want to stay upright going around into a turn or corner. Stay out of heavy traffic so she won't get scared. Try going out on a county back highway away from pretty much everything,but remember to go easy. Seven is somewhat on the young side. I started taking my nieces and nephews on short jaunts when they were around 9 or 10. With their parents permission of course. And I'm sure you know that she is to have ahold of you at all times.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:23 AM
noname
Club Member
Received 989 Likes on 541 Posts

Here's what I do. Airyn is 5 in this pic and is 6 tomorrow. I put on blocks so she can reach the floor boards, she has a helmet and jacket and I have her in a harness strapped to me. Noname

Old 03-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also a single Dad like a few others and have to deal with a real bitch of an ex. She has voiced her thoughts on this as a resounding NO.

This is significant additional information. I don't need to tell you, this is the kind of thing that could lead to an order limiting visitation to supervised time. Or some other backlash. Be careful.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Around 10 years old they can sit still for awhile. Short trips, feet on pegs or floorboards and back rest. Show them the exhaust and not to let feet touch it. Watch them some will fall asleep.

My niece was 10 and had riden with me on several rides never over 75miles. Went on big charity ride on the way home we took the highway part way. After the ride she told me I remember getting on the highway and nothing until we were getting off the exit!

You know your kids better than anyone and will know when it is time.

Quick Reply: Kids on your bike?