General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycling in Maui: Question for Military and Commercial Aviators or Aviation Fans

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Lickmeister
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Motorcycling in Maui: Question for Military and Commercial Aviators or Aviation Fans

I just got back from an 8 day vacation in Maui. I had a Street Glide HOG rental for three days to explore the island. I've been motorcycling since I was 7 years old, have motorcycled in Yellowstone, Tetons, Grand Canyon, throughout all Utah National Parks, Rocky Mountain NP, Key West, etc. But the motorcycling in Maui has to be some of the most unique and enjoyable riding I've ever done. I'll post a few photos this weekend of my trip.

I had read prior to my trip that Charles Lindbergh is buried in Maui. I found his grave in a quiet, beautiful cemetery next to an old church on the south side of the island, overlooking the ocean. I took a picture of his monument marker with a quotation that he chose prior to his death. After taking the picture, I noticed these aviator wings in the lower right hand corner of the monument that someone had left when paying their respects at his burial site.

Can anyone tell me if these are military, commercial/civilian, or something else and how old they might be? I picked them up and they appear to be bronze or some other substantial metal. It was an interesting experience and cool to see that one aviator left his "wings" at the grave of one of our country's historical aviators.

Any comments or guesses on their origin?

Motorcycling in Maui: Question for Military and Commercial Aviators or Aviation Fans-lindberg-1.jpg

Motorcycling in Maui: Question for Military and Commercial Aviators or Aviation Fans-liindberg-2.jpg

Old 03-24-2010, 09:29 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those are US Army Master Aviator wings.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/.../blaviator.htm

Old 03-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Lickmeister
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sealbeachbum
Those are US Army Master Aviator wings.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/.../blaviator.htm

Thank you for the quick reply. This site has amazingly resourceful and knowledgeable folks!!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:39 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're welcome! That is so cool that you saw Lindbergh's grave! I knew he was burried somewhere in Hawaii but for some reason I thought it was on the big island.