General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And now the financial aftermath.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 04:00 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Default And now the financial aftermath.....

Thanks for all the kind words on my crash post: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...rday-long.html

Now, the rest of the story and some questions for the group.

The dealership mechanic just called and says that his repair estimate comes in at a hair over $9K. I've already opened a conversation with the sales guy, thinking that no matter how this goes, I want to get on a bike with ABS. Sales guy says that in talking with the insurance adjuster, the adjuster was talking about totaling the bike.

Mechanic says having the bike totaled is a bad thing, sales guy says it is a good thing.

So - where does that put me?
- waiting 12-16 weeks for my bike to get fixed, right at the beginning of riding season (I'll be lucky to make it to Sturgis)
- trading a broke bike + cash on a new one
- getting a check from the insurance company, clear the existing loan, and get into a new bike.

Which is better, pushing for then to total the bike or no?

Thanks guys,

Old 03-24-2010, 04:06 PM
jasony0423
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not an insurance adjuster anymore, but if the adjuster is already talking about totaling the bike, you may well not have a choice in the matter, and will just have to negotiate a fair amount for the check.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:18 PM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're the only one that knows the numbers. The last time an insurance company cashed me out it was for way more than I thought the vehicle was worth, but that's a subjective amount. If you owe more than the bike is worth, don't expect the insurer to bail you out. If they are talking about totaling, can I assume the frame is damaged? If not, and the dealer is going to replace rather than repair, you should end up with the bike in at least as good of condition, if not better, than before the accident. Accident damage for less than "totaled" is pretty easy to figure. Totaling is where you are headed for a gray area. You don't have to accept their first offer. As far as who to believe, if the bike is totalled, the mechanic makes nothing. If it is, then the salesman gains. Only way you're getting back on the road soon will be a new ride.