General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadside breakdown

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:06 AM
juscoop
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I aways slow or stop to get the OK

Old 03-24-2010, 08:13 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

The last time I stopped for a bike, the guy was standing in road with that "what am I gonna do now look". As it turned out he was just waiting for his buddy to go riding.,,

Old 03-24-2010, 09:04 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since cell phones have become common place I don't think people are as apt to stop, thinking that help is probably on the way. I carry a clear plastic fuel siphon hose and a small set of home made jumper cables that have helped many stranded bikers get rolling again. Last year my bike suddenly quit and rolled to a stop along the interstate and within 5 min a biker stopped, stayed with my bike while my wife came to pick me up so I could get my trailer and he helped me load it as a rain shower suddenly came up. This guy had to call his girl friend to tell her that he was going to be late for their date, my wife and I had to insist that he take our cash offer so they could have a great night on the town. There are still some great people out there, hope his girl friend figures out that she has a keeper.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geargrinder
Since cell phones have become common place I don't think people are as apt to stop, thinking that help is probably on the way. I carry a clear plastic fuel siphon hose and a small set of home made jumper cables that have helped many stranded bikers get rolling again. Last year my bike suddenly quit and rolled to a stop along the interstate and within 5 min a biker stopped, stayed with my bike while my wife came to pick me up so I could get my trailer and he helped me load it as a rain shower suddenly came up. This guy had to call his girl friend to tell her that he was going to be late for their date, my wife and I had to insist that he take our cash offer so they could have a great night on the town. There are still some great people out there, hope his girl friend figures out that she has a keeper.
That guy was alright, I'd did the same thing, stuck with and helped you out anyway I could.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Last year coming home from a big charity ride my throttle cable broke. Now I have a trailor and my wife is sitting in a wheelchair on the side of the road. The ride had 3,000 bikes. A cop stopped asked if I needed help and asked me questions about the trailer. One bike stopped and asked the cop or me for directions! Cop had a call and left, I waited for an hour for the tow truck and no other bike even slowed down.

Next time I was slowing down to stop for a bike on the side of the road my wife said why no one stopped for us. She was right but I stopped anyway.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:38 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you have to ask why, or talk about it.... you just don't get it. first sign of a poser. just sayin'

would you stop if you realized the biker was patched?

Old 03-24-2010, 11:03 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I stop irregardless, unless they wave me on. I don't care if the guy is patched, not patched, riding a rice rocket, a Harley, or is blue with pink spots. It's just the right thing to do.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Peck
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always stop, last thursday I was on the side of the road oil cap blew off the oil plug there is a small hole in the plug blew oil all over my leg and my bike. While my buddy went back down the road to find the cap I have my toolkit out trying to figure out how to get the small hole plugged, 6 different bikes go by and countless cars, nothing, nobody stopped. Luckily my buddy was able to find the cap and I taped it on til I could fix it better later.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:40 AM
odysseysteve
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two Sundays ago I had just slowed and waved to ensure a stopped rider was okay. He gave me the thumbs up and off I went. Then about a half hour later and only about 3 miles away (after a smoke a restroom stop) my bike quit on me. So there I am on the sloped gravel shoulder (obviously not just hanging out for a break) with my helmet off, tools out, you know - wrenching away trying to get back on the road. There must have been at least 50 Harleys that streamed by. At least. Probably more like 100 as there were numerous groups of bikes. Not one person stopped. And to top it off I was far enough into the mountains to get the wonderful "no service" message on the cell phone. Pretty disappointing to say the least.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:15 PM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A couple years ago the opposite happened to me. My wife and I were headed home about 1:00 am and stopped to help a couple riding 2-up on a rented Ultra. Not sure how they did it, but the rear wheel was dragging against the frame and it you could get it realigned again, that tire could not be trusted. He had called for a tow but at that time on a Sunday night in the middle of nowhere they wanted $800. We managed to get the bike off the road into a retirement center parking lot however. The guy was down here from Boston visiting his girlfriend.

My wife volunteered her bike to them and she climbed on mine and they followed us to our house which was about 50 miles, and then we drove them to their house another 50 miles in the cage. While I would have never taken any cash or anything, my wife commented on the way home that they never even said "thanks" or anything.

Quick Reply: Roadside breakdown