General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kidney belt necessary for ride across USA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 03:51 PM
bikemaniac
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kidney belt necessary for ride across USA?

Hi,

In one week I will be riding from Miami, FL to Phoenix, AZ on a Softail Springer Classic, model year 2005-2009 I think. I will be riding rural back roads only averaging at 40 mph. I have planned 14 days to cover the distance of approx. 2800 miles (with no rest days). Thus I will be riding approx. 200 miles each day.

Question: Would you recommend me to buy a kidney belt for such a tour? I really have no idea if the vibrations from this rather new bike might cause some problems.

Lucas Jensen

Old 03-23-2010, 04:02 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

200 miles a day is not a long day. I don't even know anyone who wears a kidney belt on a long trip, not to mention on a short trip of 200 miles aday, doing only 40 mph (which will be quite a bit lets than the regularly posted speed limits) ... unless you are with the confines of the smaller towns.

A trip like that sounds like it would be very easy on the body. Short hours, slow speed .. It wouldn't be a very "non abraisive" ride ... so to speak.

I feel compelled to ask though, just how badly doesn't your bike vibrate, that you would have to consider a kidney belt? It's a softail and is relatively new, it should have very little vibration.

Last edited by bikergirl40; 03-23-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:02 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

I go on a 7 to 10 day trip every September and average 400+ miles per day. I've haven't worn a kidney belt since my desert racing days. More importantly would be to make sure the seat fits your backside. However, 200 miles a day is just getting warmed up so you shouldn't have any issues.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:11 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,165 Likes on 6,705 Posts

Only if you go on this one road where I live......it really sucks this spring. Surface of the moon is smoother. Kidney belt, duct tape your shoes to your legs, and a mouth guard so your teeth won't rattle out.

Anywhere else.........You should be fine.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Bikenator
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikemaniac
Hi,

In one week I will be riding from Miami, FL to Phoenix, AZ on a Softail Springer Classic, model year 2005-2009 I think. I will be riding rural back roads only averaging at 40 mph. I have planned 14 days to cover the distance of approx. 2800 miles (with no rest days). Thus I will be riding approx. 200 miles each day.

Question: Would you recommend me to buy a kidney belt for such a tour? I really have no idea if the vibrations from this rather new bike might cause some problems.

Lucas Jensen
Unless you're riding a rigid, you should not ever need a kidney belt! 200 miles a day should be a really easy tour. When 2-up we usually burn through 2 tanks (at least 400 miles)to the low fuel light warning, when solo I ride until my eyes close!
Softails have a great compliant ride.
Enjoy!

Old 03-23-2010, 04:41 PM
bikemaniac
4th Gear

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Lucas

Old 03-23-2010, 04:58 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you have medical problems we are not aware of, Kidneys should not be a problem.
Although you were not specific, I assume you are talking about riding in the front seat & riding sole.
For me, back support on a long trip is vital. I need to pack the luggage to lean on.

PS. Have fun you biker maniac You.

Last edited by hollowpoint; 03-23-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:45 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

200 miles a day? There are guys on here go that far for lunch!

Old 03-23-2010, 07:14 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I've had cancer not once, but 4 times. I own a kidney belt that I made up myself out of an old weight belt. Do you need it for a road trip, only you can say. I rode 1400 miles last week without it. No problems.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I've had cancer not once, but 4 times. I own a kidney belt that I made up myself out of an old weight belt. Do you need it for a road trip, only you can say. I rode 1400 miles last week without it. No problems.

Holy smokes is that one fancy belt! Did you win it in a cage match with Hulk Hogan?

Just playin' witcha. Haven't tried a weight belt yet, I stick with MX style belts. I found a McGard one at Sports Authority that's real nice. Very adjustable and supportive.

When you ride a bike like mine any amount of distance you treasure your kidney belt. 200 miles a day I could do without one though. What are ya gonna do for the rest of the day, drink?

Quick Reply: Kidney belt necessary for ride across USA?