General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Working for Harley ? does it matter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:59 PM
docrobinson
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been working on harleys for over 20 years and around them for 30. I started when I was 14 years old at the local dealer sweeping the floors and cleaning parts. At 17 I was working on the bikes, doing everything from new setups to overhauls. I eventually became a harley master tech and stayed at one dealer for many years. Sad thing is the pay. I earned as much ten years ago as i did last year, and put up with more bs. If it wasnt the motor company and their bs, it was the dealership owner and the management. About a year ago, I oponed my own small indy shop, and although things are tight and times are tough right now, I am way happier. So,I would say tell him to find a small indy shop that would appreciate his skills or do his own thing, and go to the dealer as a last resort

Old 03-24-2010, 12:21 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Hope it all works out, he's damn LUCKY to have a GREAT WIFE like you behind him!!! I'm sure with your support he"ll be just fine where ever he goes!

Old 03-24-2010, 12:29 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hpfatboy
Hope it all works out, he's damn LUCKY to have a GREAT WIFE like you behind him!!! I'm sure with your support he"ll be just fine where ever he goes!
ditto on that.

you're awesome doin all this for him.

the way you describe him i think he'd be much better off taking a job in an indy shop. at a dealership he's only gona get to work on HD's and do services and repairs and **** like that.

custom builds are gonna roll into indy shops. bikes are gonna come in there to have the engine rebuilt, which is stuff that seems more up his alley.

good luck which ever way you go.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:29 AM
DanD
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by docrobinson
I have been working on harleys for over 20 years and around them for 30. I started when I was 14 years old at the local dealer sweeping the floors and cleaning parts. At 17 I was working on the bikes, doing everything from new setups to overhauls. I eventually became a harley master tech and stayed at one dealer for many years. Sad thing is the pay. I earned as much ten years ago as i did last year, and put up with more bs. If it wasnt the motor company and their bs, it was the dealership owner and the management. About a year ago, I oponed my own small indy shop, and although things are tight and times are tough right now, I am way happier. So,I would say tell him to find a small indy shop that would appreciate his skills or do his own thing, and go to the dealer as a last resort
a good friend of mine did the same thing a few years ago,quit as a harley shop mechanic and opened his own shop.same reasons.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:25 AM
Solitaree1
Road Master

I disagree with the don't make your hobby your work, statement. I been doing my hobby now, for 33 years, and most days, I still enjoy going to work. What's the other old phrase?? if you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life, or something to that effect.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:15 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I too have to chime in,they all paint rosy pictures,but in reality it's all about them making the all mighty dollar no matter what it takes.Who knows what it is like very where else.Good Luck.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:35 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with meeting the dealer manager and/or owner face-to-face. If you call and inquire they all seem to fall back on the MMI first response, but doubt they would pass on hubby's hands-on experience if he gets in front of the right person.

Out here in AZ (my little corner anyway) there are very few HD only Indy's, several that specialize in all V-Twins and other craft such as ATV's, dirt bikes and other toys. I would probably look for a broad based Indy first, then HD only Indy and last HD dealer but canvas all. As you stated he needs to get working in the area until he gets the capital to start-up his shop in the DFW area. Maybe add electronics and/or computer diagnostics classes at a local school to get as up-to-date as possible on that end would help. Hope he gets to stay in the "biz" since he loves it.....Good Luck!

Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 AM
wiseguy2day
Road Master

If you decide to move there he could start out @ a dealership while looking for work at indy's. Get some cards made with his name and number on them and as he meets new people while out riding (watering holes, poker runs, etc) he could give them his card. Hopefully he could build up a small clientele while working out of your garage to the point that he could start a shop. Good luck!!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:34 AM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Working for HD as a technician would be my last choice for a career path with the way the dealerships are closing up shop. Personally, if you guys can swing it, I would go to night classes at the local community college fro something in healthcare (x-ray tech, nursing, etc). That will be the only secure field in upcoming years with the baby boomers aging.

I have a friend who is a top notch mechanic. Had school and experience behind him. Worked for a HD dealer for about a year(maybe less) and wuit ... .without another job lined up. Why? Pay was terrible and working environment was terrible. He is a garbage man now and has a steady income easily twice of what his education got him at HD. Better hours, and better environment.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:54 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

If he is lookling for a job in DFW then he wants to put together a resume with a DFW address on it. Have this done by a professional resume service. Go to a verizon store in Dallas and get a cell phone with a DFW area code to put on the resume as well. In today's market no companies are relocating people because of the cost so if you have family to give you support to make the move then use it. Companies only want local people who are ready to work with no complications.

He could be applying at MC dealers of all brands not just HD as well as car & truck dealers. He will get better results in person as well. Once he gets in a place in Dallas and you move there successfully then he can keep looking for that optimal job.

43 is not too old to get training...but do it at night when you are working. Harley Dealers like the MMI training because the guys are trained on all of the SPX digital equiptment.

Quick Reply: Working for Harley ? does it matter?