General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for owners who own both, a 1200 and a big twin

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010 | 01:52 PM
hdtwice
|
Road Master
Default Questions for owners who own both, a 1200 and a big twin

Been talking to a friend of mine for a while who wishes to get a Harley. He has a sport bike background and says he is ready to slow down, smell the flowers, and take some longer trips. I have explained to him that performance wise, it's going to be night and day, he understands that. Of course, I have told him to rent, rent, rent! and he is looking into that right now.
The bike that he has seen that grabs him is the nightster. He likes that blacked out look and liked the lines of the nightster.
I expressed a concern that over time, while on longer trips which for him would be a long weekend at most, the bike might start to feel small. I pointed out some other blacked out bikes in the Dyna line which might do him better for the long run.
QUESTIONS for those who fit one of the three situations below.
1. You had a 1200, then switched and got a big twin
2. You had a big twin, switched and got a 1200
3. You have both a 1200, and a big twin

For those who have experience with both sizes, what are some pros and cons between the two?

I have heard the sporties handle much better and I think that since he has the sport bike background...this would be a pro

But....he also wants to handle some longer rides with his passenger, although she is only 100 pounds.....but smaller bike, longer rides???...might be a con.

Comments?

Old 03-22-2010 | 02:06 PM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior

Take him on a weekend trip on a sportster. Fully loaded, 2 up and put a few hundred a day on..... then ask the ole lady how she feels.
Next weekend, get an RK, SG, UC and do the same trip. Ask the ole lady the same question..there is your answer!

The sporty is nice for running around town
The Ultra is nice for running around...the Country!

When people get bikes...the first question they need to decide on is, what type of riding will I be doing?

If $$$ are not the issue..get both!
Regardless of what you ride, ride safe

Old 03-22-2010 | 02:41 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

I know this will be of no help whatsoever, but
having experienced the same dilemma, my solution
was to have one of each. I love Sportsters for the very
reason they got their name, they're sporty. Big twins
got their name for cruising. If it's going to be an only
bike for your friend, I'm afraid he'll have to decide.

Sorry, I meant to quote hdtwice.

Last edited by Snarly; 03-22-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-22-2010 | 02:41 PM
norgepa
Road Captain

I fit the #1 category.
I had the '07 XLC Sportster 1200 then went to the '08 FXSTC Softail.

First the switch was not my idea. I was blind sided by a deer and my Sporty was totaled.

1. 1200 rubber mounted v/s Softail Big Twin Counter Balanced engine Edge to Softail.
2. Smaller Rear Tire on 1200 v/s 200mm on Softail - Advantage Softail
3. Weight distribution was higher on 1200 sporty v/s lower in saddle with Softail -Edge to Softail.
4. 1200 was a lighter bike than the Softail but the Softail seems to be better balanced in slow maneuvers. Edge to Softail
5. I have ridden 2-up on both bikes. Both perform well for short trips. The Softail wins for longer trips -weekend -camping. Edge to Softail
6. In handling those tight twisties both are good but I would have to give the edge to the 1200 Sporty. I just felt better in a more forward lean on the Sporties Standard bars, when(press/roll) through the "tight" turns than the Softail with the mini-apes and 3" risers. Edge Sportster.

Given that I did alot of 1up riding on the Sportster, PA to FL camping trips to the finger lakes and Niagra for me it was just right. However if you are planning on 2up or routine long weekend rides I would go with the Big Twin. My choice at the time was the '08 FXSTC Softail. If I was going for more weekend rides with 2-up I might have went with the Softail Heritage.

Attached Thumbnails Questions for owners who own both, a 1200 and a big twin-mvc-054s.jpg   Questions for owners who own both, a 1200 and a big twin-visitedstatesmap.jpg  
Old 03-22-2010 | 02:59 PM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member

We all have different comfort levels. Some younger riders will do fine riding a sporty long distance! You can make almost any bike comfortable to fit your needs. I've been riding all types and sizes of bikes since I was 14,I'm now 62 and have a few aches and pains. I have a 1200 with a touring seat and it works fine for me. It's fun,not to heavy and gets me as far as I care to ride now days,which is about 150 miles round trip. I have had a Heritage and Dyna.
The Heritage is good for longer rides and I could throw enough gear in the bags to be prepared for whatever but it was heavier and not as much fun to ride.
Some guys like the Baggers but they never did much for me. I figure when I get to the point where I start thinking about a Dresser,I might as well buy a Mustang convertable and take the wife and dog along. The Dyna was fun to ride and could probably be set up to be pretty comfy on a longer ride.
I think the next bike on my list will be a Dyna Streetbob,then the Mustang convertable.
Have him rent to see what works for him or do like I do. Buy used! If I don't like it! I sell it! It saves a lot of money! Just my .02

Old 03-22-2010 | 03:40 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

With the exception of the (poor) shocks, there's nothing wrong with using a Sportster for weekend trips. I believe the current issue of American Rider has an article on upgrading and adjusting the Sportster's shocks.

Old 03-22-2010 | 03:50 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

I have the Sportster XR1200, FXSTC and Ultra Classic. Each has its own function but the XR is not for two up long rides.

With the background of bikes that your friend has the best choice would be the Buell Ulysses XT.

It will handle 2 up for any distance and will have handling and ride more like he is used to.

A few dealers still have them for About $8K. you could call that a steal.

Last edited by lh4x4; 03-22-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-22-2010 | 03:57 PM
hyPerhog
Cruiser

i bought a nightster when they first came out. test drove a dyna a year later. traded nightster in on fat bob dyna.. im pissed i ever bought the crappy nightster. rides like crap unstable over 80mph and long trips suck.. dyna feels great at 100mph plus super stable plenty of power and once i start riding it i dont want to stop.... could drive coast to coast on it...

bottom line get the big bike first time out learn from my mistake... just say no to sportsters..............

Old 03-22-2010 | 04:08 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member

Sportys can be set up as decent 2up riders. Best bet would be for your friend and his girl to take a good long ride on the different models he is deciding between. Passenger comfort can make or break a ride. Most girls I ride with love the Street Glide, but there are a couple who would much rather ride on the Dyna or the Uly. Since I will ride any of 'em all day long I usually chose my ride by who's gonna be on the back.

Old 03-22-2010 | 04:11 PM
hdtwice
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by hyPerhog
i bought a nightster when they first came out. test drove a dyna a year later. traded nightster in on fat bob dyna.. im pissed i ever bought the crappy nightster. rides like crap unstable over 80mph and long trips suck.. dyna feels great at 100mph plus super stable plenty of power and once i start riding it i dont want to stop.... could drive coast to coast on it...

bottom line get the big bike first time out learn from my mistake... just say no to sportsters..............
hperhog....your situation is just what I hope he avoids. Here is our plan that he and I just came up to help him decide. This is Great for me

On his dime, we are going to rent two bikes...a sporty and a dyna. We will do an overnighter taking routes I know well that will give him a good sampleing of different types of roads. This way he can switch on and off any time and really compare. And for me...Happy to help!!

Quick Reply: Questions for owners who own both, a 1200 and a big twin