General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for owners who own both, a 1200 and a big twin

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010 | 12:05 PM
travroc
Road Warrior

Coming from a sport bike the Sportster might feel like a touring bike for him. Rode my brothers CBR and couldn't comprehend how anyone could ride that thing more than a few miles.

Old 03-23-2010 | 12:06 PM
Zap
Club Member

Originally Posted by hdtwice
Been talking to a friend of mine for a while who wishes to get a Harley. He has a sport bike background and says he is ready to slow down, smell the flowers, and take some longer trips. I have explained to him that performance wise, it's going to be night and day, he understands that. Of course, I have told him to rent, rent, rent! and he is looking into that right now.
The bike that he has seen that grabs him is the nightster. He likes that blacked out look and liked the lines of the nightster.
I expressed a concern that over time, while on longer trips which for him would be a long weekend at most, the bike might start to feel small. I pointed out some other blacked out bikes in the Dyna line which might do him better for the long run.
QUESTIONS for those who fit one of the three situations below.
1. You had a 1200, then switched and got a big twin
2. You had a big twin, switched and got a 1200
3. You have both a 1200, and a big twin

For those who have experience with both sizes, what are some pros and cons between the two?

I have heard the sporties handle much better and I think that since he has the sport bike background...this would be a pro

But....he also wants to handle some longer rides with his passenger, although she is only 100 pounds.....but smaller bike, longer rides???...might be a con.

Comments?
Originally Posted by hommes
I posted earlier. I re-read the OP. Says he's a pro rider on a sportbike. I missed the pro rider part.

I changed my mind. Tell him to ditch the girlfriend and get a Ducati.
Sorry hommes..you may have to read it again. That pro was as in "pro's and con's." Just thought I'd point that out, nothing more. I do like the Ducati idea though.

Last edited by Zap; 03-23-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2010 | 12:41 PM
zakaria777
Intermediate
Smile just say yes

Originally Posted by hyPerhog
i bought a nightster when they first came out. test drove a dyna a year later. traded nightster in on fat bob dyna.. im pissed i ever bought the crappy nightster. rides like crap unstable over 80mph and long trips suck.. dyna feels great at 100mph plus super stable plenty of power and once i start riding it i dont want to stop.... could drive coast to coast on it...

bottom line get the big bike first time out learn from my mistake... just say no to sportsters..............
Seems you must have gotten a bad bike,..or your tires needed balancing,to soft suspension,improper fork oil level,..or stearing neck issues.I rode the Nightster and found no such problems what so ever.I went into corners at 80mph and the bike stuck like glue.I truly believe there was a problem with your nightster, and as far as riding coast to coast.."0" problems here.

Old 03-23-2010 | 02:10 PM
terrapin88
Tourer

Originally Posted by Zap
Now that's funny. Hey! look at me and my garage queen. That's poser stuff right there.
Get over yourself and your cvo, ya paid to much for a ready made poser.

Well said. I've never understood the appeal of the CVO bikes. Too gawdy and way overpriced for my taste. I'd feel silly on one. I just like to ride. I don't care about being seen. But, to each his own.

Old 03-23-2010 | 04:58 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior

I bought a Nightster mostly out of budgetary reasons – plus I didn’t think I could really handle a Big Twin nor did I really want to try after a 20 year riding hiatus. After 10,000 miles on the Nightster the Ride Free program became available and I already had decided I could handle a Street Bob after sitting on all the bikes throughout the year…… so I went for it. I probably never would have otherwise. Not for a while anyway.

Night and day difference between the two. The Nightster looks really cool, but at my weight (240lbs) it would bottom out ALL THE TIME. Even with Progressives. Bottoming out sucks too – it jukes your guts if you get on a rough stretch of road. The 1200 is pretty noisy too. I never really got used to that. I swear mine would get the knocks if you just slightly got on it and I had a Fuelpak on mine. For me, the Nightster seemed like it was really winding up in fourth gear getting up to highway speed, but if you shifted into fifth before you got over 60 it seemed like it was bogging to me. That may well have just been me and my sensitivity to that motor being extra noisy. I had a solo rack for my Nightster and took several extended weekend trips on it and it never let me down. It’s more fun if you take the back roads of course.

The Big Twin 96” and six speed transmission are far superior in my opinion…. whisper quiet in comparison. I still to this day can be in fourth gear and not realize I’m not in fifth at 50+……and getting it up to cruising speed and hitting sixth is plush! The Street Bob has a good deal more heft to it as well. On the highway you can feel how it’s more planted and not effected by crosswinds as much. No more bottoming out either! Rides like a Cadillac in comparison.

I really can’t imagine trying two up on a Nightster at all…..even just occasionally. I see people all the time with them setup for two up, but I know I couldn’t have done it on mine. It bottomed out with just me on it. If you were getting a bike to run around town on and take the occasional weekend trip the Nightster might be the ticket for you….it’s a cool looking scooter.

I personally prefer the Street Bob for a run around town bike that can still pull touring duty fairly well when needed. It’s not humongous, but it’s got enough size to ride well and still be maneuverable.

Old 03-24-2010 | 01:09 AM
hommes
Road Captain
Default Well, I'll be damned...

Originally Posted by Zap
Sorry hommes..you may have to read it again. That pro was as in "pro's and con's." Just thought I'd point that out, nothing more. I do like the Ducati idea though.
The Quote: "I have heard the sporties handle much better and I think that since he has the sport bike background...this would be a pro"

You're right. I read it wrong.

But I'm stickin' to my opinion: He should ditch the girlfriend and buy a Ducati.

Or....at the very least: Save a bundle by getting a Suzuki instead of a Ducati and use the extra cash to buy the girlfriend a Harley

Old 03-24-2010 | 05:28 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by hommes
The Quote: "I have heard the sporties handle much better and I think that since he has the sport bike background...this would be a pro"

You're right. I read it wrong.

But I'm stickin' to my opinion: He should ditch the girlfriend and buy a Ducati.

Or....at the very least: Save a bundle by getting a Suzuki instead of a Ducati and use the extra cash to buy the girlfriend a Harley
Are you saying that his girlfriend has more ***** than either of you?

Just askin'...

Charlie D.

Old 03-24-2010 | 07:51 AM
R-Jay
Road Captain

I have both, and both are "Big Twins". My '67 FL is 1200cc (74ci) and a '08 FXDC.

Old 03-24-2010 | 08:04 AM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master

Originally Posted by Zap
Now that's funny. Hey! look at me and my garage queen. That's poser stuff right there.
Get over yourself and your cvo, ya paid to much for a ready made poser.
Yeah, that must be it... An you ride what?.... don' even see it list'd.......

Old 03-24-2010 | 08:14 AM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master

Originally Posted by terrapin88
Well said. I've never understood the appeal of the CVO bikes. Too gawdy and way overpriced for my taste. I'd feel silly on one. I just like to ride. I don't care about being seen. But, to each his own.
Understand???? Don't understand the appeal of a Vette' or a Ferrari either, huh?? An yer prolly the same kind'a dude that'll dump $$$ in yer motor ta make "more power"......Overpriced?? Yeah....Everthing's overpriced......Food's overpriced......guess you're gonna quit eat'n , huh???

Quick Reply: Questions for owners who own both, a 1200 and a big twin