General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for owners who own both, a 1200 and a big twin

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010 | 04:13 PM
Nevar
Stellar HDF Member

Had an 04 1200C sporty and Now a 07 FXDWG
Very little will out handle a 1200 set up sporty with a good Rider. That said there one one the hardest HDs to ride/master.
Now stick your *** on a Wide Glide and you have found true Freedom

Old 03-22-2010 | 04:37 PM
S1 4 Life
Cruiser

My buddy and I both have S1 Buells and Baggers, Road/ Street glide. Best of both worlds......

Attached Thumbnails Questions for owners who own both, a 1200 and a big twin-0306002230.jpg   Questions for owners who own both, a 1200 and a big twin-0503091220.jpg  
Old 03-22-2010 | 04:53 PM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master

Originally Posted by hyPerhog
i bought a nightster when they first came out. test drove a dyna a year later. traded nightster in on fat bob dyna.. im pissed i ever bought the crappy nightster. rides like crap unstable over 80mph and long trips suck.. dyna feels great at 100mph plus super stable plenty of power and once i start riding it i dont want to stop.... could drive coast to coast on it...

bottom line get the big bike first time out learn from my mistake... just say no to sportsters..............
Yep.....seen it many,many times......somebody'll buy a Sporty cause it's a Harley,cheaper....bigger bike's give'm "sticker shock".....they'll keep it 6 months,be trade'n or sell'n.....Dyna's are ok...I guess....basic'ly a Sportster w/bigger motor....but i'm kind'a bias'd...Personally? I'd go the Softail line or Tour'n, if I was go'n long trips,or have a passenger.....there's a reason the lineup is what it is....start'n w/the top....Touring/Softail/Dyna/Sportster....just my

Old 03-22-2010 | 05:31 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

I had an '05 Roadster and loved it BUT I wanted to do some long distance touring and the Sportster just wasn't the bike for that. Bought an '08 Road Glide and couldn't be happier.

If your friend wants to do long days in the saddle, get him to try a touring bike.

Old 03-22-2010 | 05:56 PM
docrobinson
Cruiser

I have a 2000 883 hugger that I converted to 1200 several years ago. I have just a touch over 112,000 miles on it now. 30 to 40% of those miles were put on two-up, with several long days of 500 plus miles. Last summer I bought a springer softail classic so the wife would be more comfortable on long trips, which she is. But, she still enjoys riding on the back of the sporty. So, you can go two-up on the sporty and rack up the miles.

Old 03-22-2010 | 06:05 PM
terrapin88
Tourer

I rode a 1200 sportster for a few years in my 20's. It was an evo and the motor was definitely not rubber mounted. It was agile, fun and fast. I did some traveling and did an 800 mile weekend on it once. It wasn't comfortable but it was doable. I wouldn't want to do much traveling on it 2 up tho. Maybe if you were both welter weights, but if not, you are both going to be cramped and uncomfortable. They are great run around town bikes or bar hoppers, but if you think you are going to ride 2 up much, or do more than the occasional ride, think about a BT.

Someone said the dyna's are just a sportster with a bigger motor. I don't consider that accurate. The dynas have a different frame than sporters, but some dynas use the sportster front end so it feels light and it's easy to toss around in the corners. I have a 98 superglide and it's a totally different feel than riding a sportster. It's bigger, lower, more comfortable and easier to stretch out on if you put forwards on it. It feels more stable on the highway especially over 75, but you can still enjoy the twisties like you would on a sportster. It's more comfy for 2 up riding and has enough power to handle 2 up riding with ease.

C-

Old 03-22-2010 | 06:53 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleyrider_49
Yep.....seen it many,many times......somebody'll buy a Sporty cause it's a Harley,cheaper....bigger bike's give'm "sticker shock".....they'll keep it 6 months,be trade'n or sell'n.....Dyna's are ok...I guess....basic'ly a Sportster w/bigger motor....but i'm kind'a bias'd...Personally? I'd go the Softail line or Tour'n, if I was go'n long trips,or have a passenger.....there's a reason the lineup is what it is....start'n w/the top....Touring/Softail/Dyna/Sportster....just my
No..the Dyna is not a Sportster with a bigger
motor. It has it's own frame etc. However, a
softail is more of a girls bike.

Old 03-22-2010 | 07:03 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

Ya really need one of each to do the job right!

Old 03-22-2010 | 07:13 PM
vinnypie
Cruiser

i agree with the "start with a bigger bike". i learned how to ride on a 500cc shadow then moved to a 700cc virago, niether was big enough from the start. i bought my first harley in '06 a superglide and was finally happy with the size and power. took long and short trips with the wife and was just fine. now i have a streetglide and to be honest it handles great and the ride is fantastic. i always wanted a clean line, no saddelbags or windshield bare bones bike.....until i rode a streetglide ...never going back to a non touring bike....he should just buy a nice used street,road,electra glide

Old 03-22-2010 | 07:20 PM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master

Originally Posted by Snarly
No..the Dyna is not a Sportster with a bigger
motor. It has it's own frame etc. However, a
softail is more of a girls bike.
Maybe,dude, but......could buy yer's twice,for what my Softails worth....if it's a Dyna..... an I'd bet $$ on at' sh*t..........

(not against Dyna's......could easily own an 01 W/G Switchblade........)

Last edited by Harleyrider_49; 03-22-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Questions for owners who own both, a 1200 and a big twin