General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid on my tank?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010 | 07:36 AM
Coolbreeze
|
Road Master
Angry Brake fluid on my tank?!

While I was cleaning my bike yesterday because the Indy I took it to does not clean up after himself, I noticed a place on my tank that looked like oil had been dripped onto the tank. I wiped it off, and it looks like my clear coat is bubbled up a bit. Now, its not large bubbled up places, its about 7 or 8 tiny little spots just above the tank badge. I just had my ape hangers put on, and I am afraid that it was brake fluid from the bar swap.

Is there some way to fix this without going back to the shop and showing it to them? If it is something simple I would rather do it myself. If it is a repainting issue, I am going to be a little pissed. I read on here about putting alcohol on it, but I already wiped off the crap, and am afraid that if I try something else at this point, I will screw it up worse.

Has anyone had experience with this in the past?

Old 03-22-2010 | 07:41 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

Brake fluid on paint is not good. Sounds like the damage on yours isn't too bad. I've seen it eat through and bubble the paint almost instantly.

Old 03-22-2010 | 07:45 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member

I know DOT4 brake fluid is corrosive to paint. Had my front MC gasket fail and it would spit a tiny speck of fluid out of the gasket when I applied the front brake. Stopped by the dealer for a new one on my way home and the service manager was concerned if any had gotten on the tank, told me if I found any problems with the paint to bring it in. Tank was fine, but coulda been bad.

Painted surfaces should be covered when working with brake fluid.

Old 03-22-2010 | 07:59 AM
69z28
Road Warrior

any brake fluid on a painted surface is bad,I've had it take paint off down to bare metal.

Old 03-22-2010 | 08:17 AM
cheaponecoat
Intermediate

Are you using dot 3 or dot 5. Dot 3 will lift the paint but I have never seen dot 5 lift paint. Now if you have it on the edge of a decal it may lift that. I would clean the area with alcohol. If it is a bubble and you do not want to hassel with it use clear fingernail polish ( you wife or girl friend will have this) to go over it so that is does not get any worse. I would take it back to the guy who worked on it myself.

Old 03-22-2010 | 08:28 AM
shake rattle n roll
Tourer

Originally Posted by cheaponecoat
Are you using dot 3 or dot 5. Dot 3 will lift the paint but I have never seen dot 5 lift paint. Now if you have it on the edge of a decal it may lift that. I would clean the area with alcohol. If it is a bubble and you do not want to hassel with it use clear fingernail polish ( you wife or girl friend will have this) to go over it so that is does not get any worse. I would take it back to the guy who worked on it myself.
Yep so would i.
theres no easy way i know of to fix it short of paint work.
Perhaps if you get it all off (make sure you get it all)
Then you might get some real clearcote (not fingernail poilish) and dab in the aria, then wetsand and polish it out ?
A bodyshop thats worth their weight can and will help you with the lil bit of clearcote this will require.
perhaps they might even do it all cheap as per my sugestion.
Now if it has in any way affected the color underneath ...its still gonna show

Good luck
Stay safe

Old 03-22-2010 | 08:38 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Wipe with alcohol 2-3 times to make sure you got it all off. Then clean with water/soap. Dry completely. Go over the area with scratchx or light white polishing compound and see what you have left to deal with. I would then wax it with a light cleaner wax. But the re-paint is a Winter project. I would definitely talk to the indy about it.

I always wait for some major bonehead FUBAR on my tank for the chance to get custom tins or custom repaint my stock tins. I am totally amazed my bike is 4 years old and I haven't ruined the tank yet.

Old 03-22-2010 | 08:43 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master

Originally Posted by 69z28
any brake fluid on a painted surface is bad,I've had it take paint off down to bare metal.
I have done brake work on my bike and the stuff was really paint unfriendly. Luckily my spill was from the caliper where it didn't show much. Just cleaned it and used touch up paint. On a more obvious spot it would be harder to hide. good luck. He should know better than that.

Old 03-22-2010 | 09:56 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Brake fluid is a cheap paint remover and is water soluable to boot

Old 03-22-2010 | 06:27 PM
Mr springer
Cruiser

If the damaged paint is soft,, Remove it, Fill, Sand, Prime, Repaint . It isn't too hard to do tiny repairs and to get them almost invisible. "Mask off Everything you do not want to paint"

Quick Reply: Brake fluid on my tank?!