General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Leather Jacket

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 03:50 PM
hogbutt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a great suggestion. Go to your LOCAL leather shop and buy one of their jackets and save you a ton of money. Then, buy you some patches and have them sewn on and presto, NICE leather jacket 1/2 the price.
I did this at a local shop, "Vincents Furs" and they'll stand behind it for life.
Just a idea.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:16 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I gotta laugh at these guys who think they have to wear armored jackets. Is that like a full suit of armor, like in a museum? Are they jousting on their motorcycles? Or are they just that fearful of falling off? Or DO they fall off constantly?
And textile jackets? Please! When you buy a "textile" jacket, you're buying something made of PLASTIC!
If you're going to spend $400, get something like a Schott Perfecto, the real thing, the original motorcycle jacket, made in America with American cow or horse leather, since 1928. Legendary USA has several different styles, all made by Schott. Ten percent off with code AIJKT.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:35 PM
triple buzz
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mp
I gotta laugh at these guys who think they have to wear armored jackets. Is that like a full suit of armor, like in a museum? Are they jousting on their motorcycles? Or are they just that fearful of falling off? Or DO they fall off constantly?
And textile jackets? Please! When you buy a "textile" jacket, you're buying something made of PLASTIC!
If you're going to spend $400, get something like a Schott Perfecto, the real thing, the original motorcycle jacket, made in America with American cow or horse leather, since 1928. Legendary USA has several different styles, all made by Schott. Ten percent off with code AIJKT.
No thanks on the $499 dollar fonzie jacket. love what the buckle does to the paint. You can score those at any swapmeet for $120 all day.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:39 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by triple buzz
No thanks on the $499 dollar fonzie jacket. love what the buckle does to the paint. You can score those at any swapmeet for $120 all day.

That's odd. In 20+ years of riding motorcycles with that type of jacket, I can't think of a single instance where the buckle scratched my paint. Maybe I'm just a careful kind of guy. But I do like that price.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:28 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

the wylie skull jacket quite cool!

Old 03-27-2010, 05:19 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by triple buzz
If the buckle is touching the paint, you're either doing something wrong or riding a sportbike (in which case a nice pink and green textile jacket would be the way to go).

Old 03-30-2010, 05:46 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hogbutt
[FONT=Century Gothic]I have a great suggestion. Go to your LOCAL leather shop and buy one of their jackets and save you a ton of money.
Better suggestion - research the brands a little, then go to Ebay. I've gotten a USA made leather jacket on Ebay for udner $30 - even a Schott for $30 once. My brand new, with tags, Perfecto cost me $250 from a motorcycle shop closing them out on Ebay. I've turned into sort of a leather collector, since I found out about the deals I can get.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:23 AM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zeta596
Never had a HD jacket & I am in the market...looking at a few in the $400 range. All seem pretty well made w good vents. I like the reflective Willie G Skull jacket. It seems these are all made in CHINA like just about all apparel is outsourced. Anyone have any bad experiences w HD leather??
Look on Ebay for an older one. You can probably find one made in USA. I got a WillieG made in USA and saved over 200 bucks. It was like new.
Good luck.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:19 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hogbutt
I have a great suggestion. Go to your LOCAL leather shop and buy one of their jackets and save you a ton of money. Then, buy you some patches and have them sewn on and presto, NICE leather jacket 1/2 the price.
I did this at a local shop, "Vincents Furs" and they'll stand behind it for life.
Just a idea.
The Poser think put a patch on a jacket makes it a riding jacket. They think looking like a biker is what it is all about. Where we ride with are safety built in. The light armor or Kevlar is built where you forget it is made into your jackets.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:29 PM
triple buzz
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
If the buckle is touching the paint, you're either doing something wrong or riding a sportbike (in which case a nice pink and green textile jacket would be the way to go).
Must have hurt someone's feelings who has the Fonzie jacket. Sorry. And Yeah I do also ride a sportbike, but my Buell isn't pink, and I sure would not wear a drafty, opened neck poser jacket on it. Unless I needed a place like the shoulder straps to put my fingerless gloves and smokes.