General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thin DOT helmet

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:10 AM
mikeault
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not too smart, I don't wear mine often, usually only when I cross into neighboring states. +1 on the head trip helmets though, real nice. I have a novelty ACC headtrip. I know two guys who said that the novelty saved thier lives. The only DOT test it doesn't pass is the pucture test. I guess they run a stake through it. I understand that it penetrates all helmets, but it's not long enough to make it through all the foam. So, from what I get all DOT helmets have to be at least xx thick to pass that test.
Either way I stuck a DOT sticker from the tattoo shop on the back and will play dumb if I get pulled in WV.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:25 AM
2001 Softail Deuce
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the good links and opionions. I wander if any or all could give me the thickness in inches of the inside pad. I'm comparing the head trip carbon fiber and Daytona shorty carbon fiber. but knowing the pad thickness in inches would be great. thanks again

Old 03-22-2010, 03:53 PM
S1 4 Life
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Called Head trip today and they wouldn't take any orders for DOT helmets and don't have any to sell. She told me they are having problems getting the impact foam and call back in 3 to 4 weeks.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:01 PM
jb1023
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by S1 4 Life
Called Head trip today and they wouldn't take any orders for DOT helmets and don't have any to sell. She told me they are having problems getting the impact foam and call back in 3 to 4 weeks.
Do you have to order through them or are there other retailers? After reading some of the reviews on this site I was think of getting one too but would really like to see how they fit before sending them roughly $200.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:43 PM
BURNster
Novice

Originally Posted by jb1023
Do you have to order through them or are there other retailers? After reading some of the reviews on this site I was think of getting one too but would really like to see how they fit before sending them roughly $200.
I have been scouring the net for a few weeks now reading about peoples impressions on different half helmets. ACC's head trip carbon helmets seem to come up as the favorite from a lot of riders. Unfortunately, I contacted them yesterday and they are not making DOT helmets. I have found them available online from retailers but never available in any stores to try on.

The next in line for DOT helmets that dont make you look like a giant ***** seem to be Daytona helmets. They have the full dimensions on their website, length, width and height to give you an idea of how small they are.

NXT helmets seem to be the next common choice in deep, small half helmets. Same price as Daytona but require 4 weeks to be made so might not be a possible choice if you are in a hurry.

Those are my findings from the research iv been doing thus far and are by no means the unanimous choices by everyone to ever buy a helmet.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:42 PM
2001 Softail Deuce
Advanced

thanks for the info Burnster. I contacted Daytona before Headtrip and they don't make the flat black that I want. then I turned to Headtrip but I guess that'll not work either. I'll check NXT and see if they have the flat black composite helmet.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:11 PM
jb1023
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BURNster
I have been scouring the net for a few weeks now reading about peoples impressions on different half helmets. ACC's head trip carbon helmets seem to come up as the favorite from a lot of riders. Unfortunately, I contacted them yesterday and they are not making DOT helmets. I have found them available online from retailers but never available in any stores to try on.

The next in line for DOT helmets that dont make you look like a giant ***** seem to be Daytona helmets. They have the full dimensions on their website, length, width and height to give you an idea of how small they are.

NXT helmets seem to be the next common choice in deep, small half helmets. Same price as Daytona but require 4 weeks to be made so might not be a possible choice if you are in a hurry.

Those are my findings from the research iv been doing thus far and are by no means the unanimous choices by everyone to ever buy a helmet.
Did you by chance ask if they were discontinuing all DOT helmets or just the regular 1/2? I am kind of intrigued by the polo style, never seen one in person though. Daytona does not have a polo style but they do come with the small visor. Thanks for posting your findings, saved me a bunch of time.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Headtrips for me after hearing so much about them on the net….worth the price if you can get one.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:27 PM
sjjbib
Advanced

I have had both the daytona and head trip, ordered the daytona first figuring I would save a few bucks... it was no better then any other helmet i have seen. i then spent the 200 on the head trip, it is by far the best looking dot I have seen. Oh ya pretty good customer service too. I had the helmet for a few years and for some reason the foam inside was moving around, called them up, sent it to them, and they sent me a new one...

Old 03-23-2010, 07:45 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 247 Likes on 159 Posts

I've also used NEXL helmet and they are also hard to get, but you don't get the mushroom look with them either.

TedMan

Quick Reply: Thin DOT helmet