General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Asheville, NC - Places to Stay

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We go up to Boone and eat at this place.
http://www.danlbooneinn.com/
Its a resturant and not an Inn as the name suggest.

I like Boone a little better than Ashville, However Ashville does have the Biltmore House.
http://www.biltmore.com/

X

Old 03-21-2010, 08:03 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,170 Likes on 8,340 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdruffian1
Whatever you do, GG, stay away from the Meadowbrook Resort in Maggie Valley. It sounds great online, and the rates seemed reasonable.
I went there with a group of riders a couple of years ago. Several in the group lost their money on their reservations after seeing the rooms, and went elsewhere to stay.
Bugs EVERYWHERE! Rooms not updated since the '70's (**** carpet, "pleather" furniture, etc. LOL) Sagging mattresses.
I stayed. As a soldier for 20 years, I have stayed in worse... MUCH worse. But for the folks who haven't experienced it, it was unbearable.

Enjoy your trip.
L0L...Sounds like my kinda place......But I do like Maggie Valley, GG

Old 03-21-2010, 09:05 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Burnsville NC just north of Asheville is nice with great roads to ride on, I was just there for a few days on my way down to Daytona. I have a friend who lives there. I actually liked the little town of Burnsville a lot better than Asheville. Asheville reminded me of every other city I've seen. We ate at a place called Tupolo's (in Asheville). Below average food, way overpriced. Burnsville's little town square reminds me of Mayberry from the Andy Griffith show.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Justin1775
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well as an Asheville native i would suggest that any place off of exit 55 on I-40 would be reasonable and cheap. Lots of tourists chose those hotels to stay at. Also the Blue Ridge Parkway is only 2 minutes off this exit which is nothing but a 2 lane road through the mountains. It's also about 10 min from downtown and 15 min from Biltmore.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:34 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,914 Likes on 3,535 Posts

Funny, as many times as i have been up there...maybe 50 times, i have only been in Asheville (downtown) twice...I try my best to stay out of cities...Traffic sucks...There are plenty of bypass roads around cities and i use them...specially when it stazrts to get hot...I hate being stopped on that hot bike. GG If you are near Asheville...look at the map Hwy 80 from Marion goes up to BRP near Mt Mitchell but if you keep going you can make your way up to Hot Springs and then take 209 south to Maggie Valley...Nice road....Wayah road (1310) goes from Franklin to around Robbinsville...Also 28 from The SC border to Fontana Dam..."Hellbender" of course the Foothills parkway and CHerohala Pkwy. I know you have seen it all posted before but i just thought i would refresh. Not sure how long you will be up there...Food is food is food...BUT twisty roads are to die for. First and foremost have fun and be safe.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:53 AM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

+1 on Burnsville If you get a chance to go there in Aug. They have a Frontier weekend in the Town Square . Some great riding. Would like to go back with the GPS on the bike (Just to know were I have been )We are going to try to get there in July 11-19( Taking our son up for a Boy Scout camping trip ) So we can go ridding for a week going to do the BRP as far as we can go

Old 03-22-2010, 07:45 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey GG...there's a place called the Madison Inn about 15 miles east of Asheville in Black Mountain, NC. It's a B & B with themed rooms at reasonable rates. We've stayed there a good bit, and have become friends with the owners. One of the owners, Bobby, is a master chef, and the food reflects it...some of the best vittles I've ever had. http://madisonsblackmountain.com/

Black Mountain itself is a neat little town, and you're just a little ways from Lake Lure across NC-9, which is a nice twisty/scenic ride.

If ya decide to give 'em a try, PM me and I can give ya detailed directions for getting there, as their address doesn't exactly get the job done in mapping software.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:11 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl
My husband and I are thinking of heading up to Asheville, NC the middle of May on the bikes to knock around for the weekend and were wondering if there are any cool, but won't break the bank places to stay. Can always do the Hampton Inn thing if not, but thought I would ask. I know they have a ton of inns, but those can sometimes be a little too much like staying with the 'rents. Thanks for any suggestions.
Best Western Maggie Valley. Were there last year for 4 nights. Great place.

http://www.bestwesternnorthcarolina....tainbrook-inn/

Old 03-22-2010, 10:40 AM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl
My husband and I are thinking of heading up to Asheville, NC the middle of May on the bikes to knock around for the weekend and were wondering if there are any cool, but won't break the bank places to stay. Can always do the Hampton Inn thing if not, but thought I would ask. I know they have a ton of inns, but those can sometimes be a little too much like staying with the 'rents. Thanks for any suggestions.

Ya gotta spoil yerselvs for a couple of nights here! At least go and have a drink and enjoy the place. Lots of history.
Ditto on the madison thing and lake Lure ,great restaurant at both places
been there done that
Teamster

http://www.groveparkinn.com/Groups/MeetingSpaces/

Old 03-22-2010, 02:07 PM
thirdruffian1
Cruiser

Oh, I almost forgot... Don't miss the "Wheels Through Time" Motorcycle Museum at Maggie Valley. Lot's of old and odd bikes, and bike related stuff.
B prepared to spend the whole day in there!
(It was supposed to move out West somewhere, but it didn't.)

Quick Reply: Asheville, NC - Places to Stay