General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Asheville, NC - Places to Stay

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:42 AM
thirdruffian1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you do, GG, stay away from the Meadowbrook Resort in Maggie Valley. It sounds great online, and the rates seemed reasonable.
I went there with a group of riders a couple of years ago. Several in the group lost their money on their reservations after seeing the rooms, and went elsewhere to stay.
Bugs EVERYWHERE! Rooms not updated since the '70's (**** carpet, "pleather" furniture, etc. LOL) Sagging mattresses.
I stayed. As a soldier for 20 years, I have stayed in worse... MUCH worse. But for the folks who haven't experienced it, it was unbearable.

Enjoy your trip.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:45 AM
curlydee
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if you have ever been to Lake Lure, but it is about 18mi. east of Asheville.

Nice area and riding. Check it out.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl
My husband and I are thinking of heading up to Asheville, NC the middle of May on the bikes to knock around for the weekend and were wondering if there are any cool, but won't break the bank places to stay. Can always do the Hampton Inn thing if not, but thought I would ask. I know they have a ton of inns, but those can sometimes be a little too much like staying with the 'rents. Thanks for any suggestions.
Great area! Close to alot if great ride'n too......an if ya never tour'd the Biltmore Estate, ya gotta do that...great craftsmanship in that place(my line o' work),done by hand before power tools.... also nice place ta eat there on grounds that used to be the horsebarn.....will trully take a day ta see it all, an' then you'll probly miss some of it! Enjoy, ya'll !!

Old 03-21-2010, 09:48 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for that heads-up Ruffian. I don't mind "quaint" but bug infested? Uhm, NO!

I haven't been to Biltmore Estate since I was a kid, so we'll definitely tour that; also do some riding during the days but wanted to be close-in to Asheville to knock around, eat good food and tour the artsy district.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:49 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

Originally Posted by curlydee
I don't know if you have ever been to Lake Lure, but it is about 18mi. east of Asheville.

Nice area and riding. Check it out.
Thanks. Will do that!

Old 03-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Harlie Rider
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts
Smile

Hi GeorgiaGirl, I suggest, if you haven't been through there yet to ride up US 23 to
Franklin, NC and take US 64 toward Highlands. The road goes through the Cullasaja
Gorge just before Highlands and has some of the most beautiful waterfalls imaginable. If
your time permits, it is worthwhile. Also, the road continues on through Lake Toxaway,
Sapphire and on toward Hendersonville, NC. Some breathtaking scenery through there
as well as good riding. Enjoy the ride, wherever you go!

Old 03-21-2010, 06:32 PM
LakeDude
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of good places in Maggie Valley

Old 03-21-2010, 06:51 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Chimney Rock is a great place to visit too. As mentioned above, Maggie Valley is a great place to stay in. Lost of places to pick from for accommodations. I'd go back there in a heart beat.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:18 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This kinda goes against the reason for the thread, but the Inn at the BIltmore House was very nice.

My wife wanted to go thru the Biltmore House last year. We paid to go thru it, pricey, but what the heck, only going to do it once.

She wanted to see how much it was going to cost to stay at the Inn, which is a 5 star Inn.

Well it had already cost us 50-60 bucks apiece to go thru, but it took almost 5 hours and we still didn't see it all.

I forget just exactly what they told us it would cost, something like $240. I said no way. They said that it included admission to the house. I told them we had already paid. They said they would refund that money. So yeah it was still a little pricey, but we were staying cheap everywhere else and still paying $70 - $90 a night.

They lock the grounds at 5 and you can wander the grounds until dark We rode the bike right up to the front door and got pics, it was awesome. You just can't go in the house.

We also weren't dressed well enough to eat at the Inn but they had an awesome outdoor cafe at the winery.

I definitely don't regret it.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:22 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator

Very nice!

Quick Reply: Asheville, NC - Places to Stay