General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning kits/products for the harley?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 06:54 PM
sigge
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning kits/products for the harley?

Today I just took my first harley home, a 2010 wide glide!
Seeing as it's my first bike and I've not really had a garage up until now I'm really low on any form of tools or cleaning products for the bike!

I was hoping someone could give me some recomendations of cleaning kits/products to get started, just to at very least keep her clean and maybe just a little something to polish her as well!

Oh and yeah, I was hoping to not spend more than 100$ to get a nice little base of cleaning products!

Old 03-20-2010, 07:12 PM
onadraw
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I like Ace It polish. www.seeitshine.com

Old 03-20-2010, 07:35 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Simple Green car wash soap mixed according to directions. Plenty of water to rinse.
Pledge or Honda Gloss on paint and chrome.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:53 AM
sigge
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the harley cleaning kits worth while?
The reason I ask is that I can probably get quite a hefty price cut from the dealer I bought the harley from!

Old 03-21-2010, 07:37 AM
Harpoonman
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sigge
Today I just took my first harley home, a 2010 wide glide!
Seeing as it's my first bike and I've not really had a garage up until now I'm really low on any form of tools or cleaning products for the bike!

I was hoping someone could give me some recomendations of cleaning kits/products to get started, just to at very least keep her clean and maybe just a little something to polish her as well!

Oh and yeah, I was hoping to not spend more than 100$ to get a nice little base of cleaning products!
The reason I ask is that I can probably get quite a hefty price cut from the dealer I bought the harley from!
With this kind of question, you will get tons of opinions. So I will throw my in. I have had good luck with the HD products. I think the manual says something about not using harsh detergents... good luck finding a manufacturer that will claim they make a harsh detergent. I may be spending extra bucks on HD sunwash, but it works pretty good. I use Plexus on the lexan windshield and as a plastic polish. Typically I give the bike a good waxing and detailing three times a year with Harley Glaze. When the black areas around the engine begin to gray, S-100 engine dressing in the spray can, works darn good. I bought it to ride, not to wash. I try to keep the bugs off the windward surfaces after each ride. Let it cool, rinse the loose dirt off, and with a hot wet soft towel... let it is sit on the bug residue to soften them, wipe 'em off, polish with the plexus...and away I go.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:54 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

The only Harley cleaning products I have used was the little 4-bottle set the dealer gave me when i bought my bike.The quick detailer sure smelled purtty!

I just use a good carwash soap,degreaser for the engine, Turtle Wax Ice and Mcquier's quick detailer.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:34 AM
NOLAMike
Road Master

I use the stuff made for cars. Big 'ole sponge, microfiber drying towel, clear-coat friendly wash, liquid carnuba wax, and liquid Turtle Wax chrome polish. Its all cheaper than HD branded stuff and works just as good--plus there's a Auto Zone two blocks from my house.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

HD cleaning products are overpriced. I use regular car wash solution, priced about $3 per gallon at mart stores. A spoke brush is good for cleaning hard-to-reach places. Turtle Wax ICE is a good polish.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Mr_B
Road Captain

I use Bike Brite. It works the best for me. Spray it on, wait a minute, Hose it off and blow it dry with the leaf blower. For the white walls, I use Soft Scrub.

'01 RK