General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 04:11 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Paint question

On another thread, I have been trying to get a replacement fender for my '96. I think I have one.
The color is Patriot Red Pearl. The moco no longer caries it. Can I get the numbers for it so the body shop can reproduce it? Are the color match machines the body shops have accurate? I want this to match.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:01 PM
shake rattle n roll
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by walkerinin
On another thread, I have been trying to get a replacement fender for my '96. I think I have one.
The color is Patriot Red Pearl. The moco no longer caries it. Can I get the numbers for it so the body shop can reproduce it? Are the color match machines the body shops have accurate? I want this to match.
I cant tell you the # for it , i dont know it.
But i would first start with the dealer for the #
Then i would ask the bodyshop if they can find it from the name...
Thats what we do lol get whatever info we can and work from there

Short of that..call 1 800 668 6945 (Dupont refinish help line)

Tell them what you know and you need a little help
If the shop you are gpoing to dont use dupont, they should be able to cross refrence from the dupont #
Hope this helps

Old 03-20-2010, 05:05 PM
shake rattle n roll
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also Take the shop your old fender so they have something to compare the color to

If you dont ..please dont get mad at them when it dont match, even with the # and or a color match machine(real nice tool to have) colors are hard to match......
Been there done that lol
prof Bodyman here also ..Painter

Old 03-20-2010, 05:41 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The paint code for 1996 Patriot Red Pearl is 74661. Any reputable paint supplier should be able to get an accurate PPG match.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:43 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

EXCELLENT!!
I always get good info on this forum.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:42 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

The Harley paint code is BJ.

Color match references are almost never accurate, in part because variables such as environment and sunlight change the paint over time, in part because they are based on the "standard" which may not accurately reflect the paint actually used by the OEM. They are intended as a guide to the painter who must then tint to match. Even when that is done, the standard is "A blendable match" - which really only matters when you are only painting part of something (such as a part of a car door), or when you are painting something complete, which butts up against something else (such as painting an entire car door which butts up to the fender and the rear door). In those cases, you blend into the existing paint to hide slight variances in the color.

Painting a fender is easy. The color just needs to be the same color as the bike. Since it is far from anything else which is painted, any variance is indistinguishable.

Last edited by MidnitEvil; 03-20-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Nilsa210
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reducer/hardener

on a related note, I have HD Sierra Red base color. What reducer/hardener should I use for this?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:39 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Nilsa210
on a related note, I have HD Sierra Red base color. What reducer/hardener should I use for this?
Depends on what brand of paint you have. Whomever sold you the paint should have also sold you and required reducers/hardeners.