Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spokane Getting Store Back

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:11 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
latus owned the one in spokane
Latus owned it originally, and sold it to Schumate (the dealer now out of business), and is the one involved in a court dispute with HD. Neither owner had a good reputation. A friend of mine bought an extended warranty from Schumate, and when he went to use it, found that the now defunct dealer never submitted the funds to MOCO. His ultra has major problems, and he's out of a bike for this riding season.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by krusty1
Latus owned it originally, and sold it to Schumate (the dealer now out of business), and is the one involved in a court dispute with HD. Neither owner had a good reputation. A friend of mine bought an extended warranty from Schumate, and when he went to use it, found that the now defunct dealer never submitted the funds to MOCO. His ultra has major problems, and he's out of a bike for this riding season.
Interesting. My son and I both bought extended warranties through Shumate in Tri Cities shortly before they closed. Wonder how one goes about checking to see if it is good or not.

I would think that as an authorized agent of Harley Davidson, even though Shumate might not have sent the money to Corporate that Harley Davidson would be legally bound to honor the contract. Your friend might want to consult a lawyer.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:34 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Foodog
Interesting. My son and I both bought extended warranties through Shumate in Tri Cities shortly before they closed. Wonder how one goes about checking to see if it is good or not.

I would think that as an authorized agent of Harley Davidson, even though Shumate might not have sent the money to Corporate that Harley Davidson would be legally bound to honor the contract. Your friend might want to consult a lawyer.
He did consult one....he's out of luck. If the funds never make it past the dealer, then MoCo can't be expected to suffer a loss because of the action of a franchise privately owned by that dealer. His legal action would have to be against the bankrupt former dealer. MoCo doesn't 'own' the franchises (they permit you to purchase and operate one, provided you follow their terms), nor are the franchise personnel employees of HD. Most franchise systems operate the same way, and provide an effective firewall for the root organization.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by krusty1
He did consult one....he's out of luck. If the funds never make it past the dealer, then MoCo can't be expected to suffer a loss because of the action of a franchise privately owned by that dealer. His legal action would have to be against the bankrupt former dealer. MoCo doesn't 'own' the franchises (they permit you to purchase and operate one, provided you follow their terms), nor are the franchise personnel employees of HD. Most franchise systems operate the same way, and provide an effective firewall for the root organization.
Damn! As usual the consumer holds the short end of the stick. I've got to figure out how to check if my contract is good.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:57 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Foodog
Damn! As usual the consumer holds the short end of the stick. I've got to figure out how to check if my contract is good.
I'd contact Lone Wolf (they seem like a very decent kind of place, and they treated me fairly when I bought my FXD there last fall)....they can access the system to see if MOCO has the warranty in their records (since MOCO has to approve all warranty work proposed by dealers it has a fast access system). I don't know if this problem occurred in the other Schumate dealers. I assume you have all the warranty paperwork?

It will sure be nice when, and if, Spokane gets a decent dealership. It's a shame seeing a building full of bikes just sit there for all these months. I like Lone Wolf, but it's an 80 mile round trip for me.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Ironhand
Road Master

take it in and tell them you need some work done under warranties they will look it up

Old 04-24-2010, 10:03 AM
DanD
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe there will be some deals to be had when they sell off that building full of bikes?

Old 04-24-2010, 10:07 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DanD
maybe there will be some deals to be had when they sell off that building full of bikes?
That's the current local topic of discussion. Maybe some Buell boys will be getting some great deals.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Ironhand
Road Master

Am I missing something?....that sale date was a month or so ago....what was the outcome?

Old 04-24-2010, 11:16 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ironhand
Am I missing something?....that sale date was a month or so ago....what was the outcome?
Apparently its final date keeps getting delayed and complicated by the ongoing legal wrangling.

Quick Reply: Spokane Getting Store Back