General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got rear-ended.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Bluerose
Default RE: Got rear-ended.

Glad you weren't hurt....I'm sure that was a scarry one.

I have an intersection I stop in when I ride to work that scares me to death...You can't see the light or the first 3 or 4 stopped cars because you are coming around a corner to get there....I'm always afraid someone is going to rear end the bike. I've already had my car rearended there. There is no way to split traffic and get to the front of the pack there because the cars sit close together letting the impatient dweebs on cell phones make a right. I do every thing I can to bee seen if I don't get to the light without a car that has traveled behind me to the light.

I got rear ended in my cage several months ago and it sounds like it was a lot lighter then your hit...I was also not ejected from the car. Give your body about a week to realize what happened and then you might find you are hurting like heck. Mine did just that... I would wait some time though before signing a waiver....Things tend to seek up on you...my back is from an accident that happened 6 years before it finally decided to go (BTW ...most insurance companies will not allow a 6 year lapse ...so I was SOL)

After I started to feel pain I notified the insurance company I was having back pain and how long I would wait before seeking medical assistance (I have a bad back and did not need to have more problems with it) -- basically I just told them that I was in pain and if it didn't subside within a couple of days I would be seeing a doctor....Turned out to be no problem and it did clear up in a couple of days -- the thing was I notified them just in case. No lying just protecting myself.

Funny about the adjustor wanting to come out before you had gotten an estimate....the insurance company for the other guy just told me to get an estimate and they would pay me. The only reason I had an adjustor was that I wanted them to verify there was no frame damage (they hit my tow hitch and tweeked it good), and they wanted to verify I wasn't getting the frame fixed for nothing..

Old 08-02-2006, 08:25 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear you are ok. I was rear ended on the first Saturday in June by another bike at 45 mph. I managed to stay on two wheels and pull it over. The other guys ins. co. (Progressive) was actually pretty cool. They sent my an initial check for $475.00 which I was afraid to cash (I did that once in my youth and was screwed) but as it turned out that check was so the dealer could get started ordereing the parts. If I woulda given them the first check I probably woulda had the bike back by now. As it turned out ONE of the parts went on backorder and put the brakes on the whole process HARD. I have a lot more respect for at least the Progressive ins co. if not the ins companys in general. They also gave me a fair amount for medical and my trouble. Just wanted you to know that in my similar sitation things turned out ok. Although my bike has been in the fix-it shop for almost TWO MONTHS!!![:@] I just hope you get yer @ss back on the bike quicker than I have.

Keep on rockin!!!

Old 08-03-2006, 02:39 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you are ok, your right the bike can be fixed or replaced.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:51 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

Insurance companies shudder when a bike gets hit and you get ejected. They will try to make it easy for you to sign a waiver by trying to give you a tidy sum for your bike, hoping you sign your life away before you notice you have pain somewhere. Best to wait it out like the others said. I got rear ended hard by some saleman going about 45mph and he hit me while i was at a stoplight, didnt even slow down, he was of course on his cell phone. I was in a truck, and he hit me hard enough to bend my steel bumper up underneath my truck and send my truck sailing quite a ways. That was my first accident and i made a big mistake. I signed a waiver saying i wasnt hurt medically cause they waived a big sum of money in front of my face, plus paid for my trucks damage. I thought they were just being nice Sure enough a few weeks later my back and neck were all screwed up, ive been paying for it ever since. I should have waited.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:57 PM
mcb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait, see a doctor and document EVERYTHING. Get witness statements. We were rear ended in a car years ago. were o.k. at the time,girlfriend has had back and neck issues about a year after.
Be cautious,they will try to make you feel like they are being your buddy when they are really just getting you ready to sign off and then they have no liability to respond to any further issues.
Abyways, glad you were not seriously injured or worse. Keep us psoted.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:26 PM
wolf1477
Road Master

Wow, must be the night for thread revivals<g>

Wolf

Old 02-19-2007, 10:38 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've gotten some good advice here.
Man, I am glad your ok.
Good luck with the insurance company.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:53 PM
fuzzyz28
Advanced

Glad you're OK. I actually got rear-ended myself about 12 years ago. Even though another response suggested it can be prevented...even witht the best plans...things still happen.

I was at a dead standstill...making a left hand turn on a 4 lane road (so I was on the inside lane...crossing over oppossing traffic). Yes...I do check my mirrors, etc...I was actually in the process of getting ready to turn when WHAM...a lady hit me from behind...no brakes, etc...she admitted to not even looking forward (she was looking at something off of the road). Long story short...it totalled the bike. I'd defintately suggest having a reputable dealer check the bike out before signing anything.

Glad you're OK..it's something you'll never forget...I know I haven't.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:11 PM
jonny ebola
Road Captain

95 and sunny? New York? Wha happen?![sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 02-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,487 Likes on 4,380 Posts

Man, you are on the right track on this. If it wasn't said already, assume the adjuster knows about kitchen fires and nothing else & assure the dealer is making a statement somewhere that there may be undiscovered damages that won't be known until tear-down. Tell the adjuster you need a replacement scoot rental until yours is fixed.

Get an orthopedic/neurologist check-up for body damage you might not detect yourself at this early point.

And, very glad you seem to be doing OK. Thank God!!
ORIGINAL: GothMetalGuitarist

As per the advice here the bike is at my Harley Dealer. I am going to meet the adjuster there. My mechanic agreed with you guys, do not cash the check, or sign anything until the bike is done and I am happy with it. That is where we stand. It gets looked at by the adjuster tomorrow. I will keep you guys posted, thanks again for all the well wishes and advice!

Quick Reply: Got rear-ended.