General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got rear-ended.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:29 AM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Got rear-ended.

Your favorite dealer should be writing an estimate to compare with the adjusters. The Adjuster will not figure in the nuts, bolts, seals, etc. that the repair will require. Your dealer will.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:58 AM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: alazlo

Your favorite dealer should be writing an estimate to compare with the adjusters. The Adjuster will not figure in the nuts, bolts, seals, etc. that the repair will require. Your dealer will.
Definitely. Glad that you're okay and that the bike's gonna make it. That down time will suck but we'll be here to help you through with stories and pics...and that probably won't help. Anyway, make sure that the adjuster deals with your insurance company and don't sign anything.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:01 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On the lighter side, was it a soccer mom with a cell phone?

Old 08-02-2006, 11:10 AM
ingenue
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great advice from everyone - I am so glad you came out unscathed!!

Old 08-02-2006, 11:22 AM
JerrySC
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mean to change the direction of the thread, but you might want to digest this situation before bringing an attorney into the mix. TV ads for lawyers have us all spring-loaded to pick up the phone as soon as there is an accident. In some situations, you need to do just that. There are certainly adjusters and insurance companies that will try to screw you over. That's not always the case. I have a buddy who is getting his bike repaired now from a scenario much like yours. After two estimates, $6000 was the agreed upon cost of repair. The lady's insurance company that hit him offered him a check for $6000. They also offered to wait a year before asking him to sign a medical waiver saying he wasn't hurt in any way. He got greedy and hired a lawyer. The lawyer got him a $10,000 settlement. Sounds good on the surface, doesn't it? Well after the lawyer took $5000, he had $5000 left to pay the $6000 bill. Oh, and he signed a medical waiver to get his $10,000 check. Be careful with these guys.

You have been given some good advice here:
1. Be sure you know the full extent of damages to your bike.
2. Don't sign a medical waiver until you are sure you are not injured in any way. (Many insurance companies will offer you a generous check for repair money for your bike if you will just sign a medical release form now.)
3. Be sure you need an attorney before you employ one and discuss the terms of their fees before you sign with them.
4. If your adjuster begins by saying that your bike is old and will be repaired with used parts - pray the person who hit you doesn't have the same insurance company you do.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:48 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,112 Likes on 2,120 Posts

ORIGINAL: JerrySC
I don't mean to change the direction of the thread, but you might want to digest this situation
before bringing an attorney into the mix.
TV ads for lawyers have us all spring-loaded to pick up the phone as soon as there is an accident.
In some situations, you need to do just that.
There are certainly adjusters and insurance companies that will try to screw you over.
That's not always the case.
.................................................. ....................................
Andy, get a dollar collar and put it on when the adjuster comes to look at your scrunched scooter.

mud

Old 08-02-2006, 01:10 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

78 yr old man with a suv full of people. Probably talking and not paying attention. He said,"I thought you were going." A crock in my book. I thank all of you for the comments and suggestions, I definitely won't sign anything. As far as the neck, back thing goes... I am an honest person and if I am okay then I am okay. Time of course will tell. I thank god that I came out with a lightly bruised forarm. The bike will be fixed. The driver that hit me has agreed to my statement and is willing to pay. Thanks again all of you for the advice and well wishes. I can't wait to get back out there. 95 and sunny this week, and it is killing me!

Old 08-02-2006, 01:27 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JerrySC

I don't mean to change the direction of the thread, but you might want to digest this situation before bringing an attorney into the mix. TV ads for lawyers have us all spring-loaded to pick up the phone as soon as there is an accident. In some situations, you need to do just that. There are certainly adjusters and insurance companies that will try to screw you over. That's not always the case. I have a buddy who is getting his bike repaired now from a scenario much like yours. After two estimates, $6000 was the agreed upon cost of repair. The lady's insurance company that hit him offered him a check for $6000. They also offered to wait a year before asking him to sign a medical waiver saying he wasn't hurt in any way. He got greedy and hired a lawyer. The lawyer got him a $10,000 settlement. Sounds good on the surface, doesn't it? Well after the lawyer took $5000, he had $5000 left to pay the $6000 bill. Oh, and he signed a medical waiver to get his $10,000 check. Be careful with these guys.

You have been given some good advice here:
1. Be sure you know the full extent of damages to your bike.
2. Don't sign a medical waiver until you are sure you are not injured in any way. (Many insurance companies will offer you a generous check for repair money for your bike if you will just sign a medical release form now.)
3. Be sure you need an attorney before you employ one and discuss the terms of their fees before you sign with them.
4. If your adjuster begins by saying that your bike is old and will be repaired with used parts - pray the person who hit you doesn't have the same insurance company you do.
I'm with Jerry on this one. I'd be ready to ge a lawyer, but wouldn't take that step until I was sure they were trying to screw me.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:25 PM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As per the advice here the bike is at my Harley Dealer. I am going to meet the adjuster there. My mechanic agreed with you guys, do not cash the check, or sign anything until the bike is done and I am happy with it. That is where we stand. It gets looked at by the adjuster tomorrow. I will keep you guys posted, thanks again for all the well wishes and advice!

Old 08-02-2006, 05:53 PM
firemankrug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy to read your OK, sounds like a hard hit. There is a lot of good advice from everyone, I hope everything works out good for you and you are back on your ride soon.

Krug

Quick Reply: Got rear-ended.