General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do U use front, rear or both brakes usually..

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010 | 09:14 AM
schumacher
Club Member

I toss out an anchor

Old 03-21-2010 | 09:49 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Default yet another article....

Originally Posted by Jambon1
The 70/30 rule is....70% of your stopping power comes from the front brake and 30% of your stopping power comes from the rear. Not that you should apply your front brake 70% of the time and your rear brake 30% of the time.

Again, the misconception that 70% of braking should be done with the front. In reality you should apply equal and even pressure to BOTH the front and rear brakes at the same time.

Granted, there will be certain circumstances (gravel, debris, ice, etc...) that may dictate the need to use rear more than front. For normal riding conditions you should apply equal and even pressure to
"Balance is crucial to a motorcycle’s dynamics, and that’s why most bikes have individual front and rear brake controls. Most experts agree that roughly 70% of braking effort should go to the front wheel (which uses the hand lever on the right grip), and 30% to the rear (which is operated by the right foot pedal.) Front brakes require more effort because weight transfer from slowing down will shift the bike’s balance from the rear wheel to the front, enabling the front tire to handle more load. When there’s less downforce on the rear tire, it becomes much easier to lockup and slide that wheel, resulting in a loss of control... the front, however, is less likely to slip because of the weight transferred to that end."

I have put too much pressure on the back and locked up on dry asphalt, especially where the road is slanted to edge for drainage it can get real ugly real quick. Front is much harder to get to skid (not impossible) because of the loading on the front wheel. My experience (worth about the traditional $0.02), my attendance at advanced riders class 9 years ago and a few "expert" articles I have looked up all seem to add up to same that one should apply more pressure to front but use both and practice often.

Since my old body and mind cannot duplicate ABS I think I will stay with it.

Old 03-21-2010 | 11:46 AM
SUPRPIG
Road Master

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
frotn for actual braking and the rear if i want the person behind me to know i am stopping/slowing down
Works off the front brake as well.
I use both and prefer the ABS, because you can't plan for every eventuality.

Old 03-21-2010 | 12:23 PM
swampfox_csa
Tourer

Usually a combo. Stay away from the front at slow speeds.

Old 03-21-2010 | 12:29 PM
fxdxrider
Road Captain

Most effective braking is on the front but I do find the Road King appreciates a touch of back brake to settle it down a bit if I'm pushing it. The Dyna is a real front brake bike in comparison and gains little from the use of the rear brake.

Old 03-21-2010 | 12:35 PM
TorturedZen
Advanced

Mostly I use the front but I'm making a conscious effort to work the rear more. (did that sound right?)

Old 03-21-2010 | 07:07 PM
Jambon1
Tourer

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
Most experts agree that roughly 70% of braking effort should go to the front wheel (which uses the hand lever on the right grip), and 30% to the rear (which is operated by the right foot pedal.)
My experience (worth about the traditional $0.02), my attendance at advanced riders class 9 years ago and a few "expert" articles I have looked up all seem to add up to same that one should apply more pressure to front but use both and practice often.

I'm not sure who these experts are but they probably are not MSF Instructors. I do not consider myself to be an "expert" only an experienced rider and Instructor. As a MSF instructor (1987-2005) I taught according to the Rider Handbook, constantly reiterating my instructions for PROPER braking. "The BEST way to achieve maximum braking is to apply both brakes fully without locking either wheel. Simultaneously squeeze the front brake lever and apply the rear brake pedal. Keep the body centered and look well ahead, it helps you keep the motorcycle in a straight line."
I have not been affiliated with MSF for almost 5 years now so if this procedure has changed I apologize. I think there is a little confusion here since in the other posts there are quite a few riders on here stating that they use the front 70% and rear 30% of the time. The proper procedure taught throughout the Nation is stated above. Now....When you apply both brakes fully, the front provides approximately 70% of your stopping power and the rear provides approximately 30% of your stopping power.

As I had stated earlier, you will run into circumstances where you may need to improvise and adapt to your riding conditions.

Good Luck and Ride Safe.

Old 03-21-2010 | 07:11 PM
hpfatboy
Banned
Thumbs up

Both brakes at all times!

Old 03-21-2010 | 10:00 PM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master

Both.

Old 03-21-2010 | 10:04 PM
Big Jake
Tourer

I don't know how you stop if you don't grab a hand full of the front and drag the back!

Quick Reply: Do U use front, rear or both brakes usually..