General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do U use front, rear or both brakes usually..

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010 | 10:58 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by goodbirds
Took the words right out of my mouth. I figure if Harley thought we needed brakes and front and rear, they sort of expect us to use them. Having said that, there is a reason the front has two discs versus the rear brakes consisting of one disc. Just experience a front wheel lockup encountering a slick spot on the pavement and see why a rear brake should be used too.
the front has two discs because inertia in a stop forces the energy to the front, even in equal pressure front and rear (physics lesson for the day). Front and rear equally all the time unless at a stop (rear only) or slow speed maneuvers when dragging the rear.

Old 03-17-2010 | 11:04 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member

usualy front for slowing on highway etc,but stopping or hard braking usualy both

Old 03-17-2010 | 11:05 PM
oct1949
|
Club Member

Buddy of mine has over 40k on his RK and still org front brakes...
is that Usual for touring bikes.???...

Old 03-17-2010 | 11:17 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

Rear wheel locks up and loses traction too easily on my Road King when braking hard so most braking is done with the front brakes except for slow speed turning, then it's rear only. In a panic stop, I use both and pray my size 13 boot does not put too much pressure on the rear brake pedal.

Old 03-17-2010 | 11:20 PM
dabluesguy
Road Master

Originally Posted by hatchetman
Both brakes for anything above 1st gear. Rear only in first to come to a stop to avoid front wheel lock up or bike drop!
Bingo! Amen! What he said!

Old 03-18-2010 | 05:37 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Both except in gravel/dirt, and then it's usually rear only. If you routinely use only one brake you're choosing to give up ~30% (rear brake) or ~70% (front brake) of your braking power. Learn how to use both, and then always do it. That's the only way you'll be prepared to use both when you need them.

If you think your rear brake locks up too easily, there are a couple options. One is practice, practice, practice, ... The other is to place a proportioning valve in the rear line to reduce the pressure to the brake. An adjustable valve will allow you to set it so that you can't lock the brake up, but even that shouldn't be done as you'll lose sensitivity that might help in some accident avoidance instances.

Old 03-18-2010 | 07:05 AM
juscoop
Tourer

I used to use both all the time. After my injury to my right arm I have a hard time pulling in the front brake. I only have 30# of grip strengh compared to 140# in my left hand.
So I have had to change riding style. I have to slow down way agead of time and be extra carefull. But the rear brake will stop a bagger 2 up..

Old 03-18-2010 | 07:30 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by pococj
Both except in gravel/dirt, and then it's usually rear only. If you routinely use only one brake you're choosing to give up ~30% (rear brake) or ~70% (front brake) of your braking power. Learn how to use both, and then always do it. That's the only way you'll be prepared to use both when you need them.

If you think your rear brake locks up too easily, there are a couple options. One is practice, practice, practice, ... The other is to place a proportioning valve in the rear line to reduce the pressure to the brake. An adjustable valve will allow you to set it so that you can't lock the brake up, but even that shouldn't be done as you'll lose sensitivity that might help in some accident avoidance instances.
Got to agree! Went to an advanced course 7 years ago and not using back except for emergencies was one of my two worse habits. They convinced me to use the 70/30 rule all the time so it was natural in an emergency. (except slow manuevering, gravel, etc of course then back only)

Old 03-18-2010 | 07:39 AM
SlowRain
Road Master

Both under normal circumstances....Good habit to have unless conditions dictate otherwise.

Last edited by SlowRain; 03-18-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-18-2010 | 07:41 AM
docrobinson
Cruiser

generally use them both

Quick Reply: Do U use front, rear or both brakes usually..